POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reverse words Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Reverse words (Message 1 to 10 of 53)
From: Invisible
Subject: Reverse words
Date: 24 Apr 2008 09:22:59
Message: <481089b3$1@news.povray.org>
Well, finding a word and not knowing what it means is one thing. But
finding a thing and not knowing what the word for it is... hell, how do
  you even figure that out?? [I mean, unless you know some human beings
anyway.]

For example, I saw a film the other day. One of the people in it was
wearing what appeared to be a small silk strap around her neck. What the
heck do you *call* that?

Similarly, check out

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=795

What on earth do you call the item Faye's wearing?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Well, finding a word and not knowing what it means is one thing. But
> finding a thing and not knowing what the word for it is... hell, how do
>  you even figure that out?? [I mean, unless you know some human beings
> anyway.]
>
> For example, I saw a film the other day. One of the people in it was
> wearing what appeared to be a small silk strap around her neck. What the
> heck do you *call* that?
>
> Similarly, check out
>
> http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=795
>
> What on earth do you call the item Faye's wearing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerchief

Post a reply to this message

> Well, finding a word and not knowing what it means is one thing. But
> finding a thing and not knowing what the word for it is... hell, how do
>  you even figure that out?? [I mean, unless you know some human beings
> anyway.]

BTW, is there anything you do know besides advanced mathematics and Haskell?

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:21:49 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>For example, I saw a film the other day. One of the people in it was
>wearing what appeared to be a small silk strap around her neck. What the
>heck do you *call* that?

That could be a "choker"

>Similarly, check out
>
>http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=795
>
>What on earth do you call the item Faye's wearing?

I would call it a headscarf but it is a cartoon and does not need to
follow the laws of physics :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> What on earth do you call the item Faye's wearing?

Shirt? Jeans? Belt? Glasses? Headscarf ;-)

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: gregjohn
Date: 24 Apr 2008 09:50:01
Message: <web.48108f831f99551e40d56c170@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Well, finding a word and not knowing what it means is one thing. But
> finding a thing and not knowing what the word for it is... hell, how do
> you even figure that out?? [I mean, unless you know some human beings
> anyway.]

That is exactly what is behind all the vitriol that is spilled on the web
between idiot-n00bs and unhelpful-knowitall jerks.   The n00b cannot RTFM if he
or she is not fully conversant in the precise **terminology** of what the
program can do.  The knowitall answers grudgingly because he knows that the
answer is in TFM, and makes some kind of comment about their own martyrdom and
"you got what you paid for" if it is freeware that is being discussed.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 24 Apr 2008 10:06:06
Message: <481093ce$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> BTW, is there anything you do know besides advanced mathematics and
> Haskell?

Sure - chemistry, electronics, physics, music theory, quotations from
The Matrix, a few other things...

I didn't realise that not knowing the name of an obscure item of
clothing qualifies somebody as an idiot.

Tell me, is there anything *you* know about other than trying to upset me?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Mike Raiford
Date: 24 Apr 2008 10:17:07
Message: <48109663@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> I didn't realise that not knowing the name of an obscure item of
> clothing qualifies somebody as an idiot.

Did I say that ...? No. Perhaps ignorant of things other than a narrow
set of interests. You have repeatedly demonstrated this. Some of which
you have admitted is willful.

I thought what she was wearing on her head was actually quite common,
but maybe it's just in the U.S. that it's common.

> Tell me, is there anything *you* know about other than trying to upset me?

Plenty. Some obscure, some very common, but not always common sense. Of
course I don't know everything as evidenced by my constant searching and
digging to find the name of a plant I've just photographed. Just try to
identify a plant. In botanical and horticultural books, they have ID
keys, but you literally have to have the knowledge of a botanist to
figure it out. Sometimes (if I'm lucky, I can narrow it down to a
family) but if the family is, say Fabaceae, I'm lost. It's huge and
contains hundereds of species, all vary greatly, though they have one
thing in common, they're legumes and their fruit is usually pretty easy
to identify.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 24 Apr 2008 10:17:51
Message: <4810968e@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
> > Well, finding a word and not knowing what it means is one thing. But
> > finding a thing and not knowing what the word for it is... hell, how do
> >  you even figure that out?? [I mean, unless you know some human beings
> > anyway.]

> BTW, is there anything you do know besides advanced mathematics and Haskell?

  I really wouldn't want to offend him, but I just have the impression that
he makes these posts just for the attention he gets (even if he doesn't
understand that consciously).

  I know this because I have been somewhat like that in the past (and,
I hate to admit it, still sometimes am). I may have encounter something
which I knew I could very easily find with google or whatever, but
nevertheless I felt an uncontrollable urge to ask about it at some chat
or forum, just to get people to answer. Sometimes (too often, in fact) it
was something stupid and I only made myself look fool, lazy, annoying,
childish or all of those.

  I hate to say it (because it's a bit offensive, and at the same time it's
an admission of my own deficiencies), but this is more or less related to
the same psychological phenomenon small children have when they constantly
seek attention ("mom, look what I found", "mom, look what I can do", "mom,
look, look, look"). Most people grow out of it with time, but some people
(like me) may require quite a lot more time than most. The format in which
the phenomenon is actuated may change with time, but the underlying urges
are the same.

  It may not be the nicest thing to say this about someone, but sometimes
you need some slaps before you can grow out of these things. I know this
because I have experienced it.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 24 Apr 2008 10:22:58
Message: <481097c2@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I didn't realise that not knowing the name of an obscure item of
> clothing qualifies somebody as an idiot.

  I don't think he was insinuating that. I believe he was not really
talking about *this* thread in particular, but about your posting
history in general, and that it was more a rhetorical question.

--
                                                          - Warp