POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Irony (Message 41 to 50 of 86)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Irony
Date: 24 Apr 2008 11:21:58
Message: <5j8114hra4icl5eg0iid5j2b68behqi360@4ax.com>
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:06:00 +0200, "Gilles Tran"
<gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote:

>(*) The French town of Nantes is, according to polls, the nicest city in the
>country. Should we forget that its current prosperity was inherited from the
>17-18th centuries when being the slave trade capital turned Nanted into a
>large, wealthy city? Likewise, some of the corporations (banks,
>industries..) that provided the funds for colonization in the 19th century
>are still in operation today and wealthy as ever. People die, but capital
>rolls on.

No we shouldn't {I can think of a few British examples (my home town
was a stop on the "Slave Triangle")} But we shouldn't take personal
responsibility. Just don't compound the problem.
On a personal note when I was working in Kingston (a former slave
colony of ours). A lot of people had a great deal of fun with me, on
the subject of slavery.

--

Regards
     Stephen