POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feeling the pinch yet? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Feeling the pinch yet? (Message 11 to 20 of 53)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Feeling the pinch yet?
Date: 21 Mar 2008 08:27:50
Message: <47e3b7d6@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:47e3ac88@news.povray.org...

> As the second spring is driving you forward, it re-winds the
> first spring, so this would work in such a way that they would forever be
> swapping over and eliminating any hands on winding up.

What you have there is a perpetual motion machine. Physically impossible
(See laws of thermodynamics) though a lot of people have claimed to create
them over the years.

In any system, the amount of energy is constant. It is theoretically
possible (if there's no friction present) to have 2 springs winding and
rewinding themselves, but you would no be able to extract energy from the
system. Add in friction and, even if the system is completely isolated, it
will wind down (no pun intended) eventually as friction converts the stored
energy into heat

Post a reply to this message