POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Backup (Message 41 to 50 of 58)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Backup
Date: 26 Mar 2008 09:01:57
Message: <47ea5755$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:06:42 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

> And lo on Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:42:52 -0000, Jim Henderson
> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:40:28 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>>
>>> It all depends on what level of back-up you require. Heh my favourite
>>> is a company that used the grandfather/father/son system of backups,
>>> but reused the tapes. So Day 1: GF, Day 2: F, Day 3: S, Day 4: GF etc.
>>> I'm sure you can all see the problem.
>>
>> Palindrome?
>
> I don't recall.

I recall from my NetWare 4 days that it was one of a very few that used
GFS style backups - which are/were more popular on mainframe systems.

>> That's one package that used GFS backup strategies - it can work, of
>> course, as long as your tape rotation is appropriate to retaining the
>> full backups.
>
> And that of course was the problem, if on day 4 the tape got screwed
> they'd have no full backup until they managed another backup. It never
> occurred to them if the server failed between those two points they'd
> have no full backup available.

Ouch.  That's gotta hurt.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Mar 2008 09:03:00
Message: <47ea5794$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:09:58 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:43:43 +0000, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> What do you use to back up data?
>>
>> Backup Exec is popular.
>
> Not with me it isn't. But hey, that's what we have, so...

What problems do you have with it?  I know a guy in your area who used to
work in BE support (he's now out of the business, but I still may have a
few contacts inside Veritas - I think now a part of EMC, isn't it?)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:01:57 -0000, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:06:42 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> And lo on Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:42:52 -0000, Jim Henderson
>> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

>>> Palindrome?
>>
>> I don't recall.
>
> I recall from my NetWare 4 days that it was one of a very few that used
> GFS style backups - which are/were more popular on mainframe systems.

Might have been Arcserve, rings bells.

>>> That's one package that used GFS backup strategies - it can work, of
>>> course, as long as your tape rotation is appropriate to retaining the
>>> full backups.
>>
>> And that of course was the problem, if on day 4 the tape got screwed
>> they'd have no full backup until they managed another backup. It never
>> occurred to them if the server failed between those two points they'd
>> have no full backup available.
>
> Ouch.  That's gotta hurt.

They were lucky in that it had never happened, the only 'problem' they had
was the rolling restore window. The users had got into the habit of
renaming files etc. out to ensure they wouldn't get overwritten before the
archived monthly tape (yes they did at least have one of those) the amount
of old crap that just got left on the servers [shakes head].

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:33:14 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

>> I recall from my NetWare 4 days that it was one of a very few that used
>> GFS style backups - which are/were more popular on mainframe systems.
>
> Might have been Arcserve, rings bells.

I don't believe Arcserve has ever used GFS rotations - though I haven't
looked at the latest versions, so maybe they added it.  Palindrone was
bought by Arcadia IIRC, the original owners of Backup Exec.  They got
bought by Veritas, who then was bought by EMC IIRC (might've been
Symmantec, though, now that I think of it).

>> Ouch.  That's gotta hurt.
>
> They were lucky in that it had never happened, the only 'problem' they
> had was the rolling restore window. The users had got into the habit of
> renaming files etc. out to ensure they wouldn't get overwritten before
> the archived monthly tape (yes they did at least have one of those) the
> amount of old crap that just got left on the servers [shakes head].

Users can be a pain, can't they?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:42:27 -0000, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:33:14 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> I recall from my NetWare 4 days that it was one of a very few that used
>>> GFS style backups - which are/were more popular on mainframe systems.
>>
>> Might have been Arcserve, rings bells.
>
> I don't believe Arcserve has ever used GFS rotations - though I haven't
> looked at the latest versions, so maybe they added it.  Palindrone was
> bought by Arcadia IIRC, the original owners of Backup Exec.  They got
> bought by Veritas, who then was bought by EMC IIRC (might've been
> Symmantec, though, now that I think of it).

Might not have been then, wasn't my section.

>>> Ouch.  That's gotta hurt.
>>
>> They were lucky in that it had never happened, the only 'problem' they
>> had was the rolling restore window. The users had got into the habit of
>> renaming files etc. out to ensure they wouldn't get overwritten before
>> the archived monthly tape (yes they did at least have one of those) the
>> amount of old crap that just got left on the servers [shakes head].
>
> Users can be a pain, can't they?

I think they got fed up with "I deleted/changed this four days ago can I
get it back please?"- "No" so they worked around it. If the users start
doing things like this it's time to look at why.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message