POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Mar 2008 09:42:27
Message: <47ea60d3$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:33:14 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

>> I recall from my NetWare 4 days that it was one of a very few that used
>> GFS style backups - which are/were more popular on mainframe systems.
>
> Might have been Arcserve, rings bells.

I don't believe Arcserve has ever used GFS rotations - though I haven't
looked at the latest versions, so maybe they added it.  Palindrone was
bought by Arcadia IIRC, the original owners of Backup Exec.  They got
bought by Veritas, who then was bought by EMC IIRC (might've been
Symmantec, though, now that I think of it).

>> Ouch.  That's gotta hurt.
>
> They were lucky in that it had never happened, the only 'problem' they
> had was the rolling restore window. The users had got into the habit of
> renaming files etc. out to ensure they wouldn't get overwritten before
> the archived monthly tape (yes they did at least have one of those) the
> amount of old crap that just got left on the servers [shakes head].

Users can be a pain, can't they?

Jim