POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Phil Cook
Date: 26 Mar 2008 09:54:15
Message: <op.t8mo0edoc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:42:27 -0000, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:33:14 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> I recall from my NetWare 4 days that it was one of a very few that used
>>> GFS style backups - which are/were more popular on mainframe systems.
>>
>> Might have been Arcserve, rings bells.
>
> I don't believe Arcserve has ever used GFS rotations - though I haven't
> looked at the latest versions, so maybe they added it.  Palindrone was
> bought by Arcadia IIRC, the original owners of Backup Exec.  They got
> bought by Veritas, who then was bought by EMC IIRC (might've been
> Symmantec, though, now that I think of it).

Might not have been then, wasn't my section.

>>> Ouch.  That's gotta hurt.
>>
>> They were lucky in that it had never happened, the only 'problem' they
>> had was the rolling restore window. The users had got into the habit of
>> renaming files etc. out to ensure they wouldn't get overwritten before
>> the archived monthly tape (yes they did at least have one of those) the
>> amount of old crap that just got left on the servers [shakes head].
>
> Users can be a pain, can't they?

I think they got fed up with "I deleted/changed this four days ago can I
get it back please?"- "No" so they worked around it. If the users start
doing things like this it's time to look at why.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com