POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Backup (Message 29 to 38 of 58)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: Backup
Date: 21 Mar 2008 14:01:11
Message: <47e405f7$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> It has a flavour...
>
> That must be some British expression I'm not familiar with...

That's a lolcats expression, with British spelling.

see: http://www.icanhascheezburger.com

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Mar 2008 17:33:09
Message: <47e97da5$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:43:43 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> What do you use to back up data?

Backup Exec is popular.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Mar 2008 17:33:54
Message: <47e97dd2$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:09:41 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> scott wrote:
>>> No, the limitation I'm running into now is space, not time.
>>
>> Buy some bigger tapes then, or more of the current ones?
>
> DDS only goes up to a maximum of 80 GB. My server holds 103 GB. Time to
> move to a different tape technology - but which one? There are many to
> choose from.

Modern AIT drives are quite popular.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Mar 2008 17:35:44
Message: <47e97e40@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:57:35 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> I guess we *could* back up to a hard drive. But I'm not really that keen
> on the idea. We would have to shut the server down to connect the drive,
> start it back up again, format the drive, copy all the data, somehow
> verify the data, shut the server down, disconnect the drive, put it
> somewhere safe, and start up the server again. Every single night. No
> thanks...

Mirroring - or connect devices to a SAN and mirror across multiple SAN
devices.

Even iSCSI devices being mirrored would give you some real-time
recovery.  No need to connect/disconnect.  Heck, for my server here at
home, I run a shell script to dump the contents of important directories
on the internal drive to an external 1 TB USB device.

Jim

Post a reply to this message