POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Mar 2008 17:35:44
Message: <47e97e40@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:57:35 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> I guess we *could* back up to a hard drive. But I'm not really that keen
> on the idea. We would have to shut the server down to connect the drive,
> start it back up again, format the drive, copy all the data, somehow
> verify the data, shut the server down, disconnect the drive, put it
> somewhere safe, and start up the server again. Every single night. No
> thanks...

Mirroring - or connect devices to a SAN and mirror across multiple SAN
devices.

Even iSCSI devices being mirrored would give you some real-time
recovery.  No need to connect/disconnect.  Heck, for my server here at
home, I run a shell script to dump the contents of important directories
on the internal drive to an external 1 TB USB device.

Jim