POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Phil Cook
Date: 26 Mar 2008 04:05:22
Message: <op.t8l8xgkic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:42:52 -0000, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:40:28 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> It all depends on what level of back-up you require. Heh my favourite is
>> a company that used the grandfather/father/son system of backups, but
>> reused the tapes. So Day 1: GF, Day 2: F, Day 3: S, Day 4: GF etc. I'm
>> sure you can all see the problem.
>
> Palindrome?

I don't recall.

> That's one package that used GFS backup strategies - it can work, of
> course, as long as your tape rotation is appropriate to retaining the
> full backups.

And that of course was the problem, if on day 4 the tape got screwed
they'd have no full backup until they managed another backup. It never
occurred to them if the server failed between those two points they'd have
no full backup available.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com