POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  You know you've been tracing too long when... (Message 91 to 100 of 161)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
Date: 19 Mar 2008 10:48:42
Message: <47e135da$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> It even claims to have RAID. (But I wouldn't trust
> that as far as I could throw it!)

I want to know why every one of our three different types of servers at
work (everything from a now-ancient PC to a cutting edge Dell Poweredge)
has hot-swap drives, and every one of them requires you to boot into the
BIOS at the console in order to change a drive. (Well, the Dells do. The
others just need a power cycle.) Why bother making it "hot-swap" if you
have to be physically present and out of the OS in order to swap it?
What's "hot" about that?

BTW, does anyone know how to get into the remote console configuration
on a Dell Poweredge 1950? :-)  At least then I wouldn't have to walk
someone non-technical through "importing the foreign RAID configuration"
when they put in a new disk for us.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"