POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 19 Mar 2008 11:52:15
Message: <47e144bf@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> I want to know why every one of our three different types of servers at
> work (everything from a now-ancient PC to a cutting edge Dell Poweredge)
> has hot-swap drives, and every one of them requires you to boot into the
> BIOS at the console in order to change a drive. (Well, the Dells do. The
> others just need a power cycle.) Why bother making it "hot-swap" if you
> have to be physically present and out of the OS in order to swap it?
> What's "hot" about that?

Nothing. Real hot-swap -HD's can be swapped just with taking the broken
disk off and inserting a new one *without even touching the software*.
Eg. HP Proliants support this. Actually, even couple of my personal
machines at home support this :p.

> BTW, does anyone know how to get into the remote console configuration
> on a Dell Poweredge 1950? :-)  At least then I wouldn't have to walk
> someone non-technical through "importing the foreign RAID configuration"
> when they put in a new disk for us.

Nope, but with Raritan Dominion you'd get full local console over the
network (KVM-over-IP):
http://www.raritan.com/kvm/

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen