POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  RIP Gary Gygax (Message 81 to 90 of 230)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: RIP Gary Gygax
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:36:34
Message: <47d2f8d2@news.povray.org>
news:47d2f829$1@news.povray.org...
> Gail Shaw wrote:
> > I've never heard of Colossal cave.
>
> AKA "Adventure", aka the first ever computer adventure-style game. (Was
> it the first game at all?)

No idea. First one I remember playing was Asteroids (On a Sharp computer)
sometime around 1984 or so.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:40:53
Message: <47d2f9d5$1@news.povray.org>
>> Well, two things:
>>
>> 1. It has 2x the spatial resolution in both directions. That doesn't
>> sound particularly earth-shattering, even on paper.
>>
>> 2. I saw two displays side-by-side in a shop. The one marked HD was
>> certainly clearer. But it didn't make me go "wow, that's AMAZING!"
>> Actually it just made me go "oh, OK, so it's 10% more crisp. And you
>> want HOW MANY thousand pounds for this one??"
>
> Thousands of pounds? Maybe 5 years ago.

Or maybe they set the display up next to the most expensive equipment in
the shop?

> I've played X-box games on both my old TV and the new LCD. The difference is
> exceptional. I couldn't even read half the text on the old TV. On the new,
> it's crystal clear.

I've tried connecting my laptop to a normal TV. *Everything* is unreadable!

But then, I sit about 2 feet away from my laptop's screen A TV is
usually at least 12 feet away, if not more...

> Normal DVDs don't show so much difference, but there's still a very
> noticable difference in display quality. I watched the sceen with Gandalf
> and the Balrog of Moria on the new TV and it was sooo clear.

Oddly, whenever I watch DVDs on my PC, I'm astounded by how crappy the
picture looks. Yet on a normal TV it looks perfectly OK. Weird... I
guess the low-quality TV display hides more of the imperfections?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/