POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Mar 2008 15:44:45
Message: <47d2fabd@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>> Gail Shaw wrote:
>>> I've never heard of Colossal cave.
>> AKA "Adventure", aka the first ever computer adventure-style game. (Was
>> it the first game at all?)
>
> No idea. First one I remember playing was Asteroids (On a Sharp computer)
> sometime around 1984 or so.

Adventure was written in 1976, slightly before Apple went into business
at all. The wiki article is actually pretty amusing. I have the source
listing for Adventure 550 in Fortran. :-)

It's certainly the first largely-popular game, in much the same way that
PONG was pretty much the first big video game.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"