POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Kewl Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Kewl (Message 19 to 28 of 28)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Kewl
Date: 26 Feb 2008 13:46:30
Message: <47c45e86$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escribió:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> Similarly, if you wanted to put together something like an advert or
>> poster, TeX would be a very bad choice.
>
>   I don't think MS Word would be the best tool for that either...

But of course everybody uses it for that. And with Comic Sans MS font.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 26 Feb 2008 14:26:01
Message: <47c467c9@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> Similarly, if you wanted to put together something like an advert or
> >> poster, TeX would be a very bad choice.
> >
> >   I don't think MS Word would be the best tool for that either...

> Best? No. (Not sure what would be, but NOT Word...)

  From Microsoft, probably MS Publisher.

  For other alternatives, maybe Adobe InDesign or QuarkXPress. In the
open source side of the world, maybe Scribus.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 26 Feb 2008 14:27:21
Message: <47c46819$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Gee, I don't know. I just install the TeX package, write a LaTeX
> document, compile it and go. I'm not even exactly sure which typeface it
> uses - only that it looks cool...

OK. The "computer roman modern" or "computer modern roman" or whatever
it was called was pretty poorly designed, from a typographical point of
view. Nowadays, most LaTeX's I've seen use Adobe fonts, which are
sigificantly better, as they come from a typesetting company rather than
a computer mathematician. :)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 26 Feb 2008 15:05:58
Message: <47c47126$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>> Best? No. (Not sure what would be, but NOT Word...)
>
>   From Microsoft, probably MS Publisher.
>
>   For other alternatives, maybe Adobe InDesign or QuarkXPress. In the
> open source side of the world, maybe Scribus.

Hmm, well that explains it then. I've never heard of any of the products
you just mentioned.

(I hypothesize that this is because I don't produce posters for a living...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 26 Feb 2008 15:07:15
Message: <47c47173$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> Gee, I don't know. I just install the TeX package, write a LaTeX
>> document, compile it and go. I'm not even exactly sure which typeface
>> it uses - only that it looks cool...
>
> OK. The "computer roman modern" or "computer modern roman" or whatever
> it was called was pretty poorly designed, from a typographical point of
> view. Nowadays, most LaTeX's I've seen use Adobe fonts, which are
> sigificantly better, as they come from a typesetting company rather than
> a computer mathematician. :)

A mathematician who spent several years studying 3 classic works of
high-end typography though. :-P

Anyway, I thought the Type-2 fonts were just straing conversions of the
MetaFont versions?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: nemesis
Date: 26 Feb 2008 15:38:20
Message: <47c478bc$1@news.povray.org>
Good to know you know Knuth.   That man is a true barroque in spirit.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 27 Feb 2008 04:18:17
Message: <47c52ad9@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Good to know you know Knuth.

Only because of TeX. (And, obviously, that large tome he wrote, who's
exact name currently escapes me.) I couldn't tell you much else about him.

> That man is a true barroque in spirit.

Apparently...

"Hey, I wanna write a book. Ah, damn it, let me just quickly dash off a
state-of-the-art digital typesetting system and design a set of
cutting-edge portable custom typefaces first, and then I'll get right on
it..."

Like, WTF?

[Actually, that sounds exactly like something *I* would do. Except that
I'd get about 1% through it, and then be forced to give up. This dude
actually pulled it off...!]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Phil Cook
Date: 27 Feb 2008 07:43:54
Message: <op.t66n8avcc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:26:01 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

>> Warp wrote:
>> >
>> >   I don't think MS Word would be the best tool for that either...
>
>> Best? No. (Not sure what would be, but NOT Word...)
>
>   From Microsoft, probably MS Publisher.

I never got on with Publisher it felt like I had to constantly battle to
get it to do what I wanted and not what it wanted.

>   For other alternatives, maybe Adobe InDesign or QuarkXPress. In the
> open source side of the world, maybe Scribus.

Scribus? I'll have to take a look at that, thanks.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 27 Feb 2008 11:11:40
Message: <47c58bbc@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Good to know you know Knuth.
>
> Only because of TeX. (And, obviously, that large tome he wrote, who's
> exact name currently escapes me.) I couldn't tell you much else about him.

The Art of Computer Programming
http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/taocp.html

>> That man is a true barroque in spirit.
>
> Apparently...

he also plays Bach on the organ... I said Bach was a mathematician's
favorite.  Fugue is recursion after all...

> "Hey, I wanna write a book. Ah, damn it, let me just quickly dash off a
> state-of-the-art digital typesetting system and design a set of
> cutting-edge portable custom typefaces first, and then I'll get right on
> it..."

not to mention that large tome covers pretty much every algorithm known
to man.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 27 Feb 2008 11:22:18
Message: <47c58e3a$1@news.povray.org>
>> Only because of TeX. (And, obviously, that large tome he wrote, who's
>> exact name currently escapes me.) I couldn't tell you much else about
>> him.
>
> The Art of Computer Programming

Yeah, that one. I know it's about programming, couldn't remember the
precise title.

(How many friggin' volumes is it now?)

> not to mention that large tome covers pretty much every algorithm known
> to man.

Well, yeah - reputedly. It's certainly big enough! :-P

I do sometimes think about trying to read it - but it's probably way
over my head, so...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/