POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hysterical confusers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Hysterical confusers (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Hysterical confusers
Date: 22 Feb 2008 15:31:30
Message: <47bf3122@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:28:03 +0000, Doctor John wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>> Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>> In amongst the detritus I found a Toshiba T-1850 laptop.
>>
>>   It seems to be a 386, so linux should install just fine. Even X might
>> work with some light window manager (avoid KDE and Gnome). Likewise
>> POV-Ray should compile and might even run without running out of
>> memory. It will be slow like h***, but I don't think DKB-trace would be
>> any faster either. :P
>>
> 25 MHz 386SX, 4MB RAM, 60 MB Disk, 9.5" Mono screen :-)
>
> You're probably right about going the linux route but which kernel? I
> know for certain that it won't run 2.6.22 :-))

I'd probably go with a 2.0 or a 2.2 kernel - something like DSL or one of
the other minimalist Linux distros should come with one of those older
kernels.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 22 Feb 2008 15:32:36
Message: <47bf3164$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Hey, John - good to hear from you again!
>
> Jim
Thanks for the welcome :-))

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 22 Feb 2008 16:05:52
Message: <47bf3930@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> You're probably right about going the linux route but which kernel? I
> know for certain that it won't run 2.6.22 :-))

  How do you know that?

  The linux kernel developers have somewhat of a friendly competition with
the NetBSD developers about who supports the most platforms. (NetBSD
supports over 54 hardware platforms, comprising around 17 different
processor architectures. The Linux 2.6 kernel supports even more than
this, although any single Linux distro supports less.)

  I would be surprised if the Linux 2.6 kernel wouldn't support old 386's.
(Just because the kernel can use features of newer processors doesn't
necessarily mean it cannot be compiled for older ones.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > You're probably right about going the linux route but which kernel? I
> > know for certain that it won't run 2.6.22 :-))

> I'd probably go with a 2.0 or a 2.2 kernel - something like DSL or one of
> the other minimalist Linux distros should come with one of those older
> kernels.

  Does anyone actually have a reference to 2.6 not supporting 386?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:06:39 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> > You're probably right about going the linux route but which kernel? I
>> > know for certain that it won't run 2.6.22 :-))
>
>> I'd probably go with a 2.0 or a 2.2 kernel - something like DSL or one
>> of the other minimalist Linux distros should come with one of those
>> older kernels.
>
>   Does anyone actually have a reference to 2.6 not supporting 386?

I don't, and I'm sure it does work, but the memory requirements are
typically higher for the newer kernels, so an older kernel is often
preferred.

Jim

Post a reply to this message