POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pretty cool physics sim Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Pretty cool physics sim (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Darren New
Subject: Pretty cool physics sim
Date: 22 Feb 2008 00:31:58
Message: <47be5e4e$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5g9VS0ENM

Get it: http://www.acc.umu.se/~emilk/

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Post a reply to this message

From: Kyle
Subject: Re: Pretty cool physics sim
Date: 22 Feb 2008 08:37:32
Message: <ovjtr3tseougq1rv8lhs3mmhhrnvd1cg0n@4ax.com>
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:31:59 -0800, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5g9VS0ENM
>
>Get it: http://www.acc.umu.se/~emilk/

That is pretty cool.

Post a reply to this message

From: stbenge
Date: 22 Feb 2008 18:26:47
Message: <47bf5a37@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5g9VS0ENM
>
> Get it: http://www.acc.umu.se/~emilk/

Yes! Thanks, I love these things :)

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 25 Feb 2008 09:44:41
Message: <47c2d459@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5g9VS0ENM
>
> Get it: http://www.acc.umu.se/~emilk/

I've got so addicted in the last few days that I've put a shortcut on
the panel. I may have to sue you for wilful enticement ;-)

imho the most fascinating part of it is its non-determinism (is that the
right word?) which seems to imply there are some pretty cool algorithms
sitting in the source code. I wonder if there's anything in there that
could be used in Megapov's mech-sim or cloth-sim? How about a cloth that
never drapes itself the same way twice or an animation of a field of
long grass that never repeats. Awesome 8-)

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'snapshot4.png' (14 KB)

Preview of image 'snapshot4.png'
snapshot4.png

From: triple r
Date: 25 Feb 2008 09:55:01
Message: <web.47c2d6907a72d235ae42298f0@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> imho the most fascinating part of it is its non-determinism (is that the
> right word?) which seems to imply there are some pretty cool algorithms
> sitting in the source code. I wonder if there's anything in there that
> could be used in Megapov's mech-sim or cloth-sim? How about a cloth that
> never drapes itself the same way twice or an animation of a field of
> long grass that never repeats. Awesome 8-)

I can't play with it myself to see what you mean (Windows and Linux only!?!),
but it sounds to me like non-determinism may just be a sign of inaccuracy.  For
a realtime visual simulation it only has to look right, but a tenfold increase
in accuracy would take ten times as long without any visual improvement.  So
you can probably achieve this already -- perturb the initial conditions and use
a very large time step.

 - Ricky

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike the Elder
Date: 25 Feb 2008 10:10:00
Message: <web.47c2d95c7a72d2355a8888d90@news.povray.org>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5g9VS0ENM
>
> Get it: http://www.acc.umu.se/~emilk/

Oh sure, just pass out crack to the addicts why don't you ?!?
... But *I* can stop any time I want too... really...

(Seriously, thanks. Nifty stuff.)

Best Regards,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Feb 2008 13:21:19
Message: <47c3071f$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:33:01 +0000, Doctor John wrote:

> I've got so addicted in the last few days that I've put a shortcut on
> the panel. I may have to sue you for wilful enticement ;-)

Yeah, ditto that. ;-)

Jim