POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pretty cool physics sim : Re: Pretty cool physics sim Server Time
10 Oct 2024 19:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pretty cool physics sim
From: triple r
Date: 25 Feb 2008 09:55:01
Message: <web.47c2d6907a72d235ae42298f0@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> imho the most fascinating part of it is its non-determinism (is that the
> right word?) which seems to imply there are some pretty cool algorithms
> sitting in the source code. I wonder if there's anything in there that
> could be used in Megapov's mech-sim or cloth-sim? How about a cloth that
> never drapes itself the same way twice or an animation of a field of
> long grass that never repeats. Awesome 8-)

I can't play with it myself to see what you mean (Windows and Linux only!?!),
but it sounds to me like non-determinism may just be a sign of inaccuracy.  For
a realtime visual simulation it only has to look right, but a tenfold increase
in accuracy would take ten times as long without any visual improvement.  So
you can probably achieve this already -- perturb the initial conditions and use
a very large time step.

 - Ricky