POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  CD collection (Message 157 to 166 of 166)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: CD collection
Date: 12 Feb 2008 17:37:13
Message: <hs74r3l4as8of218f2doj6voo39onqonb5@4ax.com>
On 12 Feb 2008 17:14:39 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>Well, my violin teacher always said I couldn't count my way out of a wet
>paper bag.  (My sense of timing is pretty bad, but I still managed to be
>pretty good even if I do say so myself <g>).

I can get a recognisable tune out of a tin whistle but when I played the pipes I
couldn't do it in a band. :(

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Feb 2008 17:47:41
Message: <47b2220d@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:37:09 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2008 17:14:39 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>>Well, my violin teacher always said I couldn't count my way out of a wet
>>paper bag.  (My sense of timing is pretty bad, but I still managed to be
>>pretty good even if I do say so myself <g>).
>
> I can get a recognisable tune out of a tin whistle but when I played the
> pipes I couldn't do it in a band. :(

Now that's something I never tried. (Both things, that is)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 12 Feb 2008 21:43:37
Message: <47b25959$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> That's what I recall from a music history class I took years ago.  I
> might be thinking of something else (perhaps "Simple Gifts" from
> Appalachian Spring).

That would make sense since it was definitely based on a shaker tune.
One of my favorite "folk" tunes to be honest (folk in quotes since it's
not all *that* old).  Copland's use of it is very nice too.

It is interesting though that there'll occasionally be a classical tune
that I later learn actually originated in a folk song.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:43:37 -0800, Kevin Wampler
<wampler+pov### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote:

>Jim Henderson wrote:
>> That's what I recall from a music history class I took years ago.  I
>> might be thinking of something else (perhaps "Simple Gifts" from
>> Appalachian Spring).
>
>That would make sense since it was definitely based on a shaker tune.
>One of my favorite "folk" tunes to be honest (folk in quotes since it's
>not all *that* old).  Copland's use of it is very nice too.
>
>It is interesting though that there'll occasionally be a classical tune
>that I later learn actually originated in a folk song.

can be changed into a complex classical piece. :) I do like Copland's version.
There was also a fashion for composers to write variations of folk music in the
classical period. Irish and Scottish songs got a makeover from the likes of
Beethoven and Weber etc.

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message