POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection : Re: CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CD collection
From: Stephen
Date: 13 Feb 2008 07:19:09
Message: <j1o5r3tsrfep5papgn17o77h5td0a2gqcn@4ax.com>
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:43:37 -0800, Kevin Wampler
<wampler+pov### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote:

>Jim Henderson wrote:
>> That's what I recall from a music history class I took years ago.  I
>> might be thinking of something else (perhaps "Simple Gifts" from
>> Appalachian Spring).
>
>That would make sense since it was definitely based on a shaker tune.
>One of my favorite "folk" tunes to be honest (folk in quotes since it's
>not all *that* old).  Copland's use of it is very nice too.
>
>It is interesting though that there'll occasionally be a classical tune
>that I later learn actually originated in a folk song.

can be changed into a complex classical piece. :) I do like Copland's version.
There was also a fashion for composers to write variations of folk music in the
classical period. Irish and Scottish songs got a makeover from the likes of
Beethoven and Weber etc.

Regards
	Stephen