POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CD collection Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  CD collection (Message 147 to 156 of 166)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: CD collection
Date: 11 Feb 2008 19:09:25
Message: <47b0e3b5$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:50:45 +0100, scott wrote:

>> For someone with the skills, extracting the necessary keys has become
>> fairly trivial.  How long did it take for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD
>> encryption to be "broken"?
>
> Exactly, and it hasn't even been properly "broken" in the sense Andrew
> means.

Precisely - the result is the important thing.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Feb 2008 19:10:19
Message: <47b0e3eb$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:22:24 +0100, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Yes, I know. And to overcome that, just don't make the changes to the
>>> sound THAT small.
>>
>> The thing is, the watermark, in order to be meaningful, would have to
>> re- encode exactly the same way.  Otherwise, you end up with a
>> scrambled watermark.  So you can maybe tell it was there, but not what
>> it was.
>
> Redundancy. Error correction codes.

I don't think that helps from the point of converting and then re-
encoding.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Feb 2008 19:11:15
Message: <47b0e423$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:30:34 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2008 15:39:13 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>I played in a youth orchestra when I was in high school, and the
>>conductor was having trouble getting us to learn the Symphonie
>>Fantastique,
>
> LOL
> When it was written, the professional musicians of the time hated it. It
> was too difficult for them. Thirteen timpani detuned to get the effect
> Berlioz wanted in the march to the scaffold IIRC.

It's not surprising; it is a fairly difficult piece; and if you think the
march effect was tough, you ain't seen the violin bit for the start of
the 5th movement. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message