POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What you say? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  What you say? (Message 15 to 24 of 64)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: What you say?
Date: 1 Feb 2008 10:51:31
Message: <op.t5uroyeic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 15:09:50 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

>>> OK so I won't translate that :-D
>>  OMG, I just had a very silly idea... Google Translate. 0;-)
>>  (From the site that brought us "leave the impact price-increase your
>> body"...)
>
> Hmm. I've just spent several hours translating every naughty phrase I
> can think of from English to French. Damn, this has got to the the
> silliest thing I've done in a long, *long* time... ;-)
>
> Je me demande, cela fait un sens?

"What! My mother was a saint. Get out!"

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 1 Feb 2008 11:00:16
Message: <op.t5ur3jmwc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 15:51:13 -0000, Gail Shaw sa dot com>
<"<initialsurname"@sentech> did spake, saying:

> "Invisible" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>> Gail Shaw wrote:
>>
>> > Try Thai. It's a tonal language. The same sounding word has different
>> > meanings if you say it with a high pitch, medium pitch, low pitch,
> rising or
>> > falling.
>>
>> ...!!! o_O
>
> Apparently there's one combination of sounds that has meaning in all 5
> tones, and you can use those 5 words to make a sentence. However, when
> the
> tour guid sia that sentance, t sounded to me like the same word 5 times.
> I could not hear any difference.

[Insert obligatory B5 reference here.]

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 1 Feb 2008 11:03:45
Message: <47a342e1$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> And lo on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 15:09:50 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
> spake, saying:
>
>> Je me demande, cela fait un sens?
>
> "What! My mother was a saint. Get out!"

o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 1 Feb 2008 11:08:04
Message: <47a343e4@news.povray.org>
"Gail Shaw" <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote in message

> Apparently there's one combination of sounds that has meaning in all 5
> tones, and you can use those 5 words to make a sentence. However, when the
> tour guid sia that sentance, t sounded to me like the same word 5 times. I
> could not hear any difference.

Let me rewrite that, seeing as I apparently completely lost the ability to
type for a few moments

However, when the tour guide said that sentence, it sounded to me like the