POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LOL! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  LOL! (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Invisible
Subject: LOL!
Date: 30 Jan 2008 08:14:20
Message: <47a0782c$1@news.povray.org>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282842

"How to install a print driver locally for a remote printer in Windows XP."

"[...] The driver is automatically updated on the client computer to
reduce total cost of ownership when the printer driver on the server is
updated."

Er, WTF? LMAO!

(...now if I can just work out how to solve the problem I'm having...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> "How to install a print driver locally for a remote printer in Windows XP."
>
> "[...] The driver is automatically updated on the client computer to
> reduce total cost of ownership when the printer driver on the server is
> updated."

Stallman is not happy.  Not happy!!

> Er, WTF? LMAO!

yeah, you heard it!

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:14:19 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282842
>
> "How to install a print driver locally for a remote printer in Windows
> XP."
>
> "[...] The driver is automatically updated on the client computer to
> reduce total cost of ownership when the printer driver on the server is
> updated."
>
> Er, WTF? LMAO!
>
> (...now if I can just work out how to solve the problem I'm having...)

heh and here's me working with/against a Vista laptop -

"I'll just print to the shared network printer... or not because it's no
longer listed."
Install network printer
Select network printer
'I can't connect' bleats Vista
Navigates Network Tree
Sees Printer
Selects printer
'I can't connect' bleats Vista
Brings up printer properties and queue.
'Hey no problem' says Vista
Install Local Printer
Create a new port \\name\printer
'I can't do that as that port already exists'
<sigh>
Install Local Printer
Use Existing port
'Oh hey I've already got drivers for that printer shall I use those?'
For gods' sake yes.
'Okay do you want a test page and for me to make this the default printer?'
No
Connect and print without hassle; smack head against desk.

Similar to the way it flits the wireless netword to Local, Limited, or
Local and Internet for no apparent reason, oh and still won't synchronise
with a certain mobile phone despite an MCP and [Mobile Company] accredited
blah looking at and repeating exactly the same actions I took. I'd love to
upgrade it to XP.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

>> (...now if I can just work out how to solve the problem I'm having...)
>
> heh and here's me working with/against a Vista laptop -
>
> "I'll just print to the shared network printer... or not because it's no
> longer listed."
> Install network printer
> Select network printer
> 'I can't connect' bleats Vista
> Navigates Network Tree
> Sees Printer
> Selects printer
> 'I can't connect' bleats Vista
> Brings up printer properties and queue.
> 'Hey no problem' says Vista
> Install Local Printer
> Create a new port \\name\printer
> 'I can't do that as that port already exists'
> <sigh>
> Install Local Printer
> Use Existing port
> 'Oh hey I've already got drivers for that printer shall I use those?'
> For gods' sake yes.
> 'Okay do you want a test page and for me to make this the default printer?'
> No
> Connect and print without hassle; smack head against desk.
>
> Similar to the way it flits the wireless netword to Local, Limited, or
> Local and Internet for no apparent reason, oh and still won't
> synchronise with a certain mobile phone despite an MCP and [Mobile
> Company] accredited blah looking at and repeating exactly the same
> actions I took. I'd love to upgrade it to XP.

Well let me put it this way. I have a networked printer which one PC
can't print to.

The Dell PC.

Everybody else can print to it, but not this one Dell PC. I eventually
figured out how to uninstall the print drivers. (I was thinking maybe
you have to install them from a privilaged account or it doesn't work
properly.) But no amount of removing and replacing them causes the
printer to print. All it will tell me is that "the operation failed". No
detail, no explanation, just "failed". Great.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

     On what day did God create the body thetans?

Post a reply to this message