POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LOL! : Re: LOL! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOL!
From: Phil Cook
Date: 30 Jan 2008 09:09:35
Message: <op.t5qxgsh0c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:14:19 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282842
>
> "How to install a print driver locally for a remote printer in Windows
> XP."
>
> "[...] The driver is automatically updated on the client computer to
> reduce total cost of ownership when the printer driver on the server is
> updated."
>
> Er, WTF? LMAO!
>
> (...now if I can just work out how to solve the problem I'm having...)

heh and here's me working with/against a Vista laptop -

"I'll just print to the shared network printer... or not because it's no
longer listed."
Install network printer
Select network printer
'I can't connect' bleats Vista
Navigates Network Tree
Sees Printer
Selects printer
'I can't connect' bleats Vista
Brings up printer properties and queue.
'Hey no problem' says Vista
Install Local Printer
Create a new port \\name\printer
'I can't do that as that port already exists'
<sigh>
Install Local Printer
Use Existing port
'Oh hey I've already got drivers for that printer shall I use those?'
For gods' sake yes.
'Okay do you want a test page and for me to make this the default printer?'
No
Connect and print without hassle; smack head against desk.

Similar to the way it flits the wireless netword to Local, Limited, or
Local and Internet for no apparent reason, oh and still won't synchronise
with a certain mobile phone despite an MCP and [Mobile Company] accredited
blah looking at and repeating exactly the same actions I took. I'd love to
upgrade it to XP.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com