POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Web design IE mysterium Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Web design IE mysterium (Message 33 to 42 of 52)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Web design IE mysterium
Date: 23 Jan 2008 21:04:02
Message: <4797f212$1@news.povray.org>
http://tinyurl.com/37c5uq

Without the charset override, it doesn't even let me validate it.

FWIW, looks OK on IE6.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 23 Jan 2008 21:05:54
Message: <4797f282$1@news.povray.org>
Rune escribió:
> Now I've reverted to using some good old tables

*vomits*

Post a reply to this message

From: Rune
Date: 23 Jan 2008 22:14:18
Message: <4798028a@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" wrote:

>> Now I've reverted to using some good old tables
>
> *vomits*

Yeah, I know that many people feel like that.

Them: Don't use tables for layout purposes!

Me: Okay, so what do I do instead to get the same result?

Them: Use this more complicated method here with lots of nested divs, then
apply this long list of browser-specific hacks in order to make it work in
all major browsers.

Me: And how exactly is that better than using a simpler table approach that
works exactly as expected, is consistent across browsers, and is equally
user-friendly?

Them: Because using tables is baaaad...!

Seriously, if you can show me a way that works equally well as my table
approach without raising the complexity a lot, I'd be very interested. It's
not like I haven't tried.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message

> Without the charset override, it doesn't even let me validate it.

I fixed the most and now only the H2 errors are left. I have no idea what
they mean.

> FWIW, looks OK on IE6.

:)

Rune
--
http://runevision.com

Post a reply to this message

> Seriously, if you can show me a way that works equally well as my table
> approach without raising the complexity a lot, I'd be very interested. It's
> not like I haven't tried.

I was very impressed by this tutorial, but then I don't write web apps
other than ugly ones. You might bet some good out of it.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/tables-vs-css

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message

> Seriously, if you can show me a way that works equally well as my table
> approach without raising the complexity a lot, I'd be very interested. It's
> not like I haven't tried.

 From the explanation of the acid2 test: "Tables for layout aren't bad.
What is bad is using table *markup*". However, display:table,
display:table-cell, etc. aren't supported by any released version of
IE... Otherwise they would be an interesting one.

Post a reply to this message

>> Without the charset override, it doesn't even let me validate it.
>
> I fixed the most and now only the H2 errors are left. I have no idea what
> they mean.

<a> can only contain inline elements, and <h2> is a block element; so
<a><h2></h2></a> isn't allowed.

Post a reply to this message