POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Web design IE mysterium : Re: Web design IE mysterium Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Web design IE mysterium
From: Warp
Date: 24 Jan 2008 05:02:33
Message: <47986239@news.povray.org>
Rune <aut### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
> Them: Don't use tables for layout purposes!

  From the dawn of the WWW "they" have punctuated that HTML should not
be used for layout, only for content, that the layout should be separated
from the content. One argument which has always been given is that you
don't know the screen size of the user, and that some users might want
to view the page in a small hand-held device.
  "They" were right. Hand-held devices capable of viewing web pages are
becoming more and more popular every day (cellphones, handheld game
consoles...) and people are browsing the WWW with them more and more
(and suffering from all those "this site requires at least a 800x600
resolution" sites).
  People are still not paying attention. They still tell themselves that
nobody *really* browses the internet with a cellphone.

  (What I find puzzling is that "they" preached separation of content
and layout from the dawn of the WWW, yet "they" hate CSS, which is exactly
what they wanted: Total separation of content and layout. I never really
understood why. It's exactly what they wanted. But no.)

--
                                                          - Warp