POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. (Message 30 to 39 of 49)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post.
Date: 22 Jan 2008 16:57:45
Message: <h5ocp3lqelnf114m9u5ttost81cc4dot2m@4ax.com>
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:07:54 -0500, Ian Burgmyer <spe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>> I forgot the smiley
>
>Here, have mine: :)

Thankye

>There are some cases where I do prefer to go alone.  I ended up buying a
>camera the other day (Nikon D40, so I can finally stop using my crappy
>cell phone camera) and I doubt I would have sprinted in and out as
>quickly as I did if I'd had someone there.  Odds are I would have wound
>up spending more money. :S  External influence can be a bad thing in
>some cases.

Well I'm lucky, I just tell my wife what sort of thing I'd like and she will
find out the model and best price then send me out to buy it. She's not a techie
but developed the skills shopping for HiFi. Again she'd send me out to buy it
because she got comments like "The blue interconnects, is that to match your
curtains?"
"No to match the colour of your face as I strangle you with them!"
It was safer if I went alone and quicker too. :) Yip a touch of red headedness,
I fear.

>> Don't sleep, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_congestion_charge
>> I heard that New York was thinking of trying it.
>> BTW I approve of it, travelling in London has improved since it was introduced
>> IMHO
>
>I dunno...seems a little steep to me.

The idea is to cut down the number of cars. Drivers need more that just a polite
asking.

>I'm really not sure if that would work in the States.  I'm just thinking
>of all the people who have hour-plus commutes and the relatively poor
>public transit systems in a lot of areas.  I'm fairly ignorant about
>daily life in Europe (for obvious reasons :P), so I don't know about the
>situation in various parts overseas.

It might in NY, maybe Jim C will have an idea. You have to remember most of
London was designed for the horse and cart. The traffic is horrendous, a journey
of about six miles could take between twenty minutes and two hours (not rush
hour). Oxford street, a bus and taxi only street takes about fifteen minutes to
travel a mile. Almost as quick to walk. The transport system has been improved
but our tube maintenance company just went bust.
Bicycles, motor bikes, invalid's cars and green cars are free (I think).

>> That is for on street parking
>
>Ouch. O.O

Have you heard about "wheel clamping" where your car is immobilised if you don't
park in a recognised parking bay? You get the car back after paying a large fine
and then have to wait until someone unlocks your car.

The signs of things to come, Whooooo! :)

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Well I'm lucky, I just tell my wife what sort of thing I'd like and she will
> find out the model and best price then send me out to buy it.

Always nice to have a dedicated researcher. :)

Unfortunately for me, that's what I tend to be in my circle of friends
and family.  Ah well.

> She's not a techie
> but developed the skills shopping for HiFi. Again she'd send me out to buy it
> because she got comments like "The blue interconnects, is that to match your
> curtains?"
> "No to match the colour of your face as I strangle you with them!"

That...is amazing. :D

>> I'm really not sure if that would work in the States.  I'm just thinking
>> of all the people who have hour-plus commutes and the relatively poor
>> public transit systems in a lot of areas.  I'm fairly ignorant about
>> daily life in Europe (for obvious reasons :P), so I don't know about the
>> situation in various parts overseas.
>
> It might in NY, maybe Jim C will have an idea.

Yeah, I don't know about New York.  I've only driven through Cleveland
and Pittsburgh and both of those cities seem pretty well-managed during
rush hour to me.

In all honesty, I'd rather drive through Cleveland during rush hour than
through Boardman, OH, any time before midnight.  Boardman's traffic is
so horrid that it can take fifteen minutes to travel five miles
(partially due to driver stupidity and mostly due to OH-224 needing
another land in that city).

> You have to remember most of
> London was designed for the horse and cart. The traffic is horrendous, a journey
> of about six miles could take between twenty minutes and two hours (not rush
> hour). Oxford street, a bus and taxi only street takes about fifteen minutes to
> travel a mile. Almost as quick to walk. The transport system has been improved
> but our tube maintenance company just went bust.

Have you ever watched the movie Office Space?  What you just described
reminds me of the beginning of it. :P

> Have you heard about "wheel clamping" where your car is immobilised if you don't
> park in a recognised parking bay? You get the car back after paying a large fine
> and then have to wait until someone unlocks your car.

Oh yes.

I've never witnessed anyone getting clamped, but I've seen pictures.
Not pretty (I imagine it would be rather effective, though).

--
-Ian

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 03:12:07 -0500, Ian Burgmyer <spe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> Well I'm lucky, I just tell my wife what sort of thing I'd like and she will
>> find out the model and best price then send me out to buy it.
>
>Always nice to have a dedicated researcher. :)
>
>Unfortunately for me, that's what I tend to be in my circle of friends
>and family.  Ah well.

In that case I was thinking of replacing my laptop and here are my requirements

:)

>> She's not a techie
>> but developed the skills shopping for HiFi. Again she'd send me out to buy it
>> because she got comments like "The blue interconnects, is that to match your
>> curtains?"
>> "No to match the colour of your face as I strangle you with them!"
>
>That...is amazing. :D

What is amazing, the sales assistant or my wife's reply?

Just ask any woman who buys anything technical if they've ever been patronised.

>(partially due to driver stupidity and mostly due to OH-224 needing
>another land in that city).

Sorry I don't get the reference.

>> You have to remember most of
>> London was designed for the horse and cart. The traffic is horrendous, a journey
>> of about six miles could take between twenty minutes and two hours (not rush
>> hour). Oxford street, a bus and taxi only street takes about fifteen minutes to
>> travel a mile. Almost as quick to walk. The transport system has been improved
>> but our tube maintenance company just went bust.
>
>Have you ever watched the movie Office Space?  What you just described
>reminds me of the beginning of it. :P

No, I'm not a movie buff, or sports come to that.

>> Have you heard about "wheel clamping" where your car is immobilised if you don't
>> park in a recognised parking bay? You get the car back after paying a large fine
>> and then have to wait until someone unlocks your car.
>
>Oh yes.
>
>I've never witnessed anyone getting clamped, but I've seen pictures.
>Not pretty (I imagine it would be rather effective, though).

You don't do it twice :)

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> Always nice to have a dedicated researcher. :)
>>
>> Unfortunately for me, that's what I tend to be in my circle of friends
>> and family.  Ah well.
>
> In that case I was thinking of replacing my laptop and here are my requirements

> :)

Alright, let's do this. 8)

You obviously need a top of the line Alienware laptop.  Nothing less
will do.

>>> She's not a techie
>>> but developed the skills shopping for HiFi. Again she'd send me out to buy it
>>> because she got comments like "The blue interconnects, is that to match your
>>> curtains?"
>>> "No to match the colour of your face as I strangle you with them!"
>> That...is amazing. :D
>
> What is amazing, the sales assistant or my wife's reply?

The entire exchange.

> Just ask any woman who buys anything technical if they've ever been patronised.

I dunno, I think it's more just a sales thing.  There are very few
instances that I'm dealing with sales people that I don't get
patronized.  Maybe I'm just in touch with my feminine side. :)

Buying my camera was actually a pretty pleasant experience because the
person who sold it to me was a bit of a DSLR buff.  He didn't try to
push me into a higher priced model, he didn't go "oh, why would you want
*THAT* one."  Best customer service I've gotten at a retailer in a while.

>> (partially due to driver stupidity and mostly due to OH-224 needing
>> another land in that city).
>
> Sorry I don't get the reference.

I typoed. :(  I meant to say "needing another lane."  The traffic gets
so backed up with nowhere to go; they really need another lane on that road.

>> Have you ever watched the movie Office Space?  What you just described
>> reminds me of the beginning of it. :P
>
> No, I'm not a movie buff, or sports come to that.

Alright, I shall describe. :)

The main characters are driving to work and traffic is completely
stopped.  The main main main main character, Peter, looks over and sees
an elderly man with a walker, slowly making his way down the sidewalk.
When he notices a lane next to him moving, he switches to it and ends up
having to stop immediately.  When this happens, the lane he was just in
starts moving.  He switches, it stops.

Long story short, the guy with the walker was the clear winner.

--
-Ian

Post a reply to this message