POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. : Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post.
From: Stephen
Date: 25 Jan 2008 17:40:06
Message: <0lokp3dibjesaojcicu13aniqpv1hv37mm@4ax.com>
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:39:03 -0500, Ian Burgmyer <spe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>Heh, I probably wouldn't use an Alienware laptop if one were given to me
>(well, I might use it, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it).  Last
>Alienware laptop I used got so hot it hurt my legs and its battery life
>was so horrid that they should have just left the battery out of the design.

We must read different books but I do remember that laptop :)

>My laptop is rather large (hurray, 17" screen!), but it doesn't have a
>full-sized keyboard and all.  That would just be excessive. :P

I don't know about that. It makes a big difference to me.

>Also, pics please.  I'd like to see your little goliath.

Sorry, no can do. It is a K8T800 motherboard if that helps?

>> So I want to go for something lighter. Most of the laptops on the market seem to
>> be dual processors with a lower clock speed.  As I use Ver 3.6 and don't want to
>> use the beta because my modeller is a beta too.
>> What to do? I don't know what I want.
>> So fix that, please :)
>
>I CAN'T! :(
>
>hrm...
>
>As far as the clock speed issue is concerned, it all depends on what
>you're comparing it to.  Since the Pentium M, Intel's completely
>rethought their strategy, focusing on efficiency rather than pumping the
>clock speed as high as they possibly can.  I did some informal tests on
>my systems and my laptop's Pentium M (Dothan core) 1.73GHz CPU is faster
>than my desktop's Pentium 4 (Prescott core) 2.80GHz CPU (FSB on both
>systems is 533MHz).  If you're thinking in terms of a Pentium 4 or
>Pentium D, a 2.4GHz Core 2 is going to mercilessly kill just about any
>of them (with fire).  To make the situation even better, they don't get
>as hot.  My laptop's processor runs cooler under load (with the fan in
>my laptop set to "low") than my Preshott does idle (whose case has a
>bazillion fans in it).
>
>So really, even if you're only using a single core on a modern laptop,
>odds are you're going to wind up with a system that performs exceedingly
>well.

Thanks for that. I think I lost track when they went to 16 bit :)

>As far as the whole megapixels thing goes, it seems as though everyone
>gets into that.  In my class, a bunch of people got on my case for
>paying $550 for a camera that "only" takes 6.1 megapixel shots.
>
>When you do the math, there really isn't much of a difference between 6
>megapixels and 8 megapixels.  To double the resolution of a 6 megapixel
>camera, you'd have to use a 24 megapixel camera.
>
>I'd rather pay more for a camera that takes *damn good* 6 megapixel
>shots than a camera that's $50 less that takes crappy 10 megapixel shots
>that need to be scaled down to eliminate all of the artifacts in the
>picture.  If I wanted to have to scale down photos to make them look
>less crappy I'd use my cell phone camera.

And the lens don't forget the lens.

>> And to be fare to my wife, she didn't actually say that to the salesman. It is
>> just what she wanted to say.
>
>Sure, sure... ;)

Ok it's what I wanted her to say :)

>Ah well, I'm still going to be in Tampa for about a month and a week, so
>it's all good.

It sounds so exotic :)
That is a long course it must cover a lot? Is it a campus and do you get out at
night? :)

Regards
	Stephen