POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. : Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I've been away from here for X years and all I can come up with is this stupid post.
From: Ian Burgmyer
Date: 23 Jan 2008 15:32:06
Message: <4797a446$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
>> Always nice to have a dedicated researcher. :)
>>
>> Unfortunately for me, that's what I tend to be in my circle of friends
>> and family.  Ah well.
>
> In that case I was thinking of replacing my laptop and here are my requirements

> :)

Alright, let's do this. 8)

You obviously need a top of the line Alienware laptop.  Nothing less
will do.

>>> She's not a techie
>>> but developed the skills shopping for HiFi. Again she'd send me out to buy it
>>> because she got comments like "The blue interconnects, is that to match your
>>> curtains?"
>>> "No to match the colour of your face as I strangle you with them!"
>> That...is amazing. :D
>
> What is amazing, the sales assistant or my wife's reply?

The entire exchange.

> Just ask any woman who buys anything technical if they've ever been patronised.

I dunno, I think it's more just a sales thing.  There are very few
instances that I'm dealing with sales people that I don't get
patronized.  Maybe I'm just in touch with my feminine side. :)

Buying my camera was actually a pretty pleasant experience because the
person who sold it to me was a bit of a DSLR buff.  He didn't try to
push me into a higher priced model, he didn't go "oh, why would you want
*THAT* one."  Best customer service I've gotten at a retailer in a while.

>> (partially due to driver stupidity and mostly due to OH-224 needing
>> another land in that city).
>
> Sorry I don't get the reference.

I typoed. :(  I meant to say "needing another lane."  The traffic gets
so backed up with nowhere to go; they really need another lane on that road.

>> Have you ever watched the movie Office Space?  What you just described
>> reminds me of the beginning of it. :P
>
> No, I'm not a movie buff, or sports come to that.

Alright, I shall describe. :)

The main characters are driving to work and traffic is completely
stopped.  The main main main main character, Peter, looks over and sees
an elderly man with a walker, slowly making his way down the sidewalk.
When he notices a lane next to him moving, he switches to it and ends up
having to stop immediately.  When this happens, the lane he was just in
starts moving.  He switches, it stops.

Long story short, the guy with the walker was the clear winner.

--
-Ian