POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  xkcd (Message 11 to 20 of 68)
From: scott
Subject: Re: xkcd
Date: 17 Jan 2008 07:46:25
Message: <478f4e21@news.povray.org>
>> So if you know what a Polish reversed list is, you should also be
>> familiar with various political figures? How does that work?
>
>  Do you know how Bill Gates is? Do you know who Steve Jobs is? Do you know
> who Donald Knuth is?

Yes.

>  You should know who Richard Stallman is.

No.  But I looked up his website and decided I don't like him anyway. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 17 Jan 2008 07:50:18
Message: <478f4f0a@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> Isn't that like saying if you know how a magnet works, you should know
>> who Tesla is?
>
>   No. It's like saying that you are a physicist and don't know who
> Nikola Tesla is.

Interesting. I had no idea that being an expert in a given subject
involves knowing anything about its history or the people who invented it...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

And lo on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:48:29 -0000, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> Isn't that like saying if you know how a magnet works, you should know
>> who Tesla is?
>
>   No. It's like saying that you are a physicist and don't know who
> Nikola Tesla is.

Wasn't he the guy on the Russian side in Command & Conquer that ran those
electrical defence towers? :-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:50:17 +0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>Interesting. I had no idea that being an expert in a given subject
>involves knowing anything about its history or the people who invented it...

That is one of the failings of our education system. You don't need to let it
hold you back tho'.

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message