POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd : Re: xkcd Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: xkcd
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 Jan 2008 09:47:31
Message: <478f6a83$1@news.povray.org>

478f4f0a@news.povray.org...

> Interesting. I had no idea that being an expert in a given subject
> involves knowing anything about its history or the people who invented
> it...

An expert is expected to know about his/her field of expertise beyond the
mere nuts and bolts so that that person can give informed advice. The
history of a trade is part of that, but knowing history is also a proof of
intellectual curiosity. Experts who are so narrow-minded that they can't
reason beyond the immediate issues don't make good experts, or even good
professionals.

G.