POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd : Re: xkcd Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: xkcd
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 17 Jan 2008 11:09:49
Message: <478f7dcd$1@news.povray.org>

478f6de5$1@news.povray.org...

> History has never been something that really interests me, that's all.

Well, perhaps you should expand your horizons a little bit. Knowing how
things came to be is more than often very illuminating, even from a personal
perspective. You're missing a lot.

Of course, from a professional perspective, be very careful about displaying
your ignorance of trade matters. An employer just looking for some anonymous
codemonkey may not care, but if you're looking for something a little more
ambitious, not knowing who Steve Jobs and RMS are could be downright lethal
in an interview, because it would reveal a deep lack of curiosity and
interest *** in your own trade ***. For instance, not knowing about Stallman
means that you never wondered and read about open source software licenses
and the world of issues surrounding them. Not knowing about Steve Jobs means
that you never got remotely interested and read anything about Apple
software and hardware, even in mainstream newspapers.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but even if these particular points
wouldn't interest me as an employer, I'd be wondering about the many other
basic trade issues you'd be ignorant and unwilling to learn about, and that
would drastically decrease your employability - once I'd picked my jaw up
from the floor and sent a witty note my coworkers about the strange chap who
just left my office ;)

G.