POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wierd Science #1 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Wierd Science #1 (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: Wierd Science #1
Date: 13 Jan 2008 08:18:36
Message: <478a0fac$1@news.povray.org>
>> 1. You're standing in a 40 microtesla magnetic field right now.
>
>   Can you charge a laptop with a 40 mecrotesla magnetic field?

Unlikely.

>> 2. You're surrounded by devices that produce far stronger magnetic fields.
>
>   But far stronger than the suggested form of wireless energy transmission?

The document referenced (and similar reports I've seen) don't actually
go into just "how strong" this field actually is. Presumably it's quite
a bit more than 40 microtesla, but that's all I could tell you.

>> 3. Medical imaging scanners often generate fields of up to 3 T, yet show
>> no known negative effects on human health.
>
>   They do so for relatively short periods of time, and humans are exposed
> to them once of twice. They are not generated for hours every single day
> with the same person present at all times.

How about the machine operator?

The magnet in an NMR machine is essentially a permanent magnet - you
don't "turn it on" just to do the scan, and then turn it off again. It
takes several days to charge up, and a similar time to shut it down
properly.

[You can actually buy 3 T magnets that fit in your pocket. The challenge
for an NMR machine is to make a field that's 3 T *all over*, or at least
in a space big enough to fit a person inside...]

>> 4. According to known physics, most physical materials are very weakly
>> affected my magnets.
>
>   Yet a strong enough magnetic field can kill a human. (Sure, it has to
> be staggeringly strong, but it's possible.)

Really? That's news...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> >> 3. Medical imaging scanners often generate fields of up to 3 T, yet show
> >> no known negative effects on human health.
> >
> >   They do so for relatively short periods of time, and humans are exposed
> > to them once of twice. They are not generated for hours every single day
> > with the same person present at all times.
>
> How about the machine operator?

Does the machine operator really stay in the same room as the NMR machine?
He has to use some buttoms? They separate the computers from the magnetic field,
don't they?

> The magnet in an NMR machine is essentially a permanent magnet - you
> don't "turn it on" just to do the scan, and then turn it off again. It
> takes several days to charge up, and a similar time to shut it down
> properly.

That's right, but people usually don't stay all day and night in NMR machines.
Nobody tried, nobody says it's dangerous. Perhaps it isn't, but might be pretty
boring. Boring enough to get hurt? :-)
No, I'm not talking about those things, some people do, when doing medications
with small magnetic fields ("as your blood contains iron and as everybody
knows, it has magnetic attribute" :-) ), but there aren't safety guides for the
use of NMR machines without reasons.

> >> 4. According to known physics, most physical materials are very weakly
> >> affected my magnets.
> >
> >   Yet a strong enough magnetic field can kill a human. (Sure, it has to
> > be staggeringly strong, but it's possible.)
>
> Really? That's news...

We are not sure, if it really kills humans, as we never tried it. (I hope so)
But it has effects and a magnetic field strong enough is able to kill germs, as
a US patent proves.
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=31&f=G&l=50&co
1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=4524079&OS=4524079&RS=4524079
But I don't conclude those magical magnetic fields are bad. :-)

bluetree

Post a reply to this message