POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wierd Science #1 : Re: Wierd Science #1 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wierd Science #1
From: bluetree
Date: 13 Jan 2008 09:05:01
Message: <web.478a19d7625b7d9a3c53096e0@news.povray.org>
> >> 3. Medical imaging scanners often generate fields of up to 3 T, yet show
> >> no known negative effects on human health.
> >
> >   They do so for relatively short periods of time, and humans are exposed
> > to them once of twice. They are not generated for hours every single day
> > with the same person present at all times.
>
> How about the machine operator?

Does the machine operator really stay in the same room as the NMR machine?
He has to use some buttoms? They separate the computers from the magnetic field,
don't they?

> The magnet in an NMR machine is essentially a permanent magnet - you
> don't "turn it on" just to do the scan, and then turn it off again. It
> takes several days to charge up, and a similar time to shut it down
> properly.

That's right, but people usually don't stay all day and night in NMR machines.
Nobody tried, nobody says it's dangerous. Perhaps it isn't, but might be pretty
boring. Boring enough to get hurt? :-)
No, I'm not talking about those things, some people do, when doing medications
with small magnetic fields ("as your blood contains iron and as everybody
knows, it has magnetic attribute" :-) ), but there aren't safety guides for the
use of NMR machines without reasons.

> >> 4. According to known physics, most physical materials are very weakly
> >> affected my magnets.
> >
> >   Yet a strong enough magnetic field can kill a human. (Sure, it has to
> > be staggeringly strong, but it's possible.)
>
> Really? That's news...

We are not sure, if it really kills humans, as we never tried it. (I hope so)
But it has effects and a magnetic field strong enough is able to kill germs, as
a US patent proves.
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=31&f=G&l=50&co
1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=4524079&OS=4524079&RS=4524079
But I don't conclude those magical magnetic fields are bad. :-)

bluetree