POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wierd Science #1 : Re: Wierd Science #1 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wierd Science #1
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 13 Jan 2008 16:13:06
Message: <MPG.21f42cc9d328b24e98a0e1@news.povray.org>
In article <478a0fac$1@news.povray.org>, voi### [at] devnull says...
> >   Yet a strong enough magnetic field can kill a human. (Sure, it has to
> > be staggeringly strong, but it's possible.)
>
> Really? That's news...

News to me too. Given that they are using magnetic fields that are
insanely bigger than those in a NMR to "float" frogs, without any
detrimental effect. One suspects that such a field would have to be a)
unidirectional and b) so immensely strong that its impractical to
produce it. Now, mind you, that doesn't mean that you can't produce
energy waves in **certain frequencies**, which could kill you, but then
those wouldn't be "magnetic", they would be microwave, or some other
class.

Fact is, the supposed "health effects" of magnetic fields, even absurdly
strong ones, including the ones used in MRI machines, which have to be
strong enough to at least magnetically align the metals in human tissue,
before letting them return to a normal state, both in the sense of
negative "and" positive effects, have been proven to be either require
some very specific conditions, or to have been total BS, and the
conditions resulting from other unknown factors (i.e. the supposed
cancer clusters some people reported near power lines, which only seemed
to happen at *some* such places, and never at all of them, nor with any
specific set of conditions that where a) identical in all places they
happened in, or b) uncommon to places where they never happened).

So, yeah, I would love to know how you "kill" someone with magnetism,
given that you could even set off a nuke and not kill anyone from the
EMP pulse, just from the radiation after (which isn't magnetic), to use
another example.

As for the resonance issue. It would be basically invisible to anything
that didn't resonate the same way. This isn't to say that, by shear
accident, they wouldn't have cases where unshielded electronics might
resonate at those frequencies, but you get that happening anyway, which
is why you get interference on some things. Correct shielding would
block it. And, anything else wouldn't react to it at all.

Oh, and while the 40 microtesla energy level can't be used to "charge"
anything, it might be, if you have a) a single resonant frequency,
instead of a hugely wild random fluctuation, and b) the electronics
where low enough power. Crystal radios used it, "all the time", having
no batteries, back before anyone had transistor radios, which draw more
power, so need batteries. Its not impossible, just not practical, for
most modern electronics.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {