POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LOL^2 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  LOL^2 (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Invisible
Subject: LOL^2
Date: 7 Jan 2008 04:54:36
Message: <4781f6dc@news.povray.org>
Apparently the folks over at HQ have just implemented a new technology
known as "home folders" - and it's planned that this idea will be rolled
out at all sites in the near future.

Oh, wait a sec... we've had that in the UK for the last 6 years. Oh well.

[Seriously... WTF?! The more I work here, the more I wonder just what
the hell they're *doing* at the other sites. This is pretty basic stuff...]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Apparently the folks over at HQ have just implemented a new technology
> known as "home folders" - and it's planned that this idea will be rolled
> out at all sites in the near future.

  Are those "home folders" somehow different from standard unix home
directories, an idea which has existed probably for over 30 years?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> Apparently the folks over at HQ have just implemented a new technology
>> known as "home folders" - and it's planned that this idea will be rolled
>> out at all sites in the near future.
>
>   Are those "home folders" somehow different from standard unix home
> directories, an idea which has existed probably for over 30 years?

Erm... Well, they exist on a network filesystem... Nope, that's about
the only thing I can think of that makes them in any way different...

[Also amusing was the "If you have anything on C:, please move it to
your new home folder so we can back it up".]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> >   Are those "home folders" somehow different from standard unix home
> > directories, an idea which has existed probably for over 30 years?

> Erm... Well, they exist on a network filesystem... Nope, that's about
> the only thing I can think of that makes them in any way different...

  There's nothing stopping unix home directories from residing in a
network file system, and in fact that's a very common practice in
multiuser environments.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message