POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LOL^2 : Re: LOL^2 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOL^2
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jan 2008 11:16:40
Message: <47825068@news.povray.org>
>> Also, the new AV software we're rolling out is configured to look for
>> updates once per hour. Seriously. Once per hour. I don't know about
>> Trend, but Symantec only release updates weekly. Daily if there's a
>> serious outbreak. Hourly update checks?? Are you mental?!
>
> Except you may not know when it gets released. A new virus is found, the
> AV boys crank out an update at 13:00; but you don't get it until 23:00
> 'cos that's when you've set your system to check for updates. You're
> vulnerable for 4 hours

Ooo, 4 hours. Big deal...

[I would think it takes a tad more than 4 hours for the AV company to
even notice there's a new virus spreading, much less perform an
extensive analysis and write a fix. And let us not forget, having the AV
signatures is a *cure*, not a prevention.]

> Dear Customer,
>

> an administration charge for this warning...
>
> Dear Customer,
>

> interest charges...

That sounds like a typical bank, yes...

--