POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : LOL^2 : Re: LOL^2 Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOL^2
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jan 2008 09:43:47
Message: <47823aa3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>>   Are those "home folders" somehow different from standard unix home
>>> directories, an idea which has existed probably for over 30 years?
>
>> Erm... Well, they exist on a network filesystem... Nope, that's about
>> the only thing I can think of that makes them in any way different...
>
>   There's nothing stopping unix home directories from residing in a
> network file system, and in fact that's a very common practice in
> multiuser environments.

Well, originally I'm told it was on the local file system - but either
way, it's a pretty tiny difference.

Also, the new AV software we're rolling out is configured to look for
updates once per hour. Seriously. Once per hour. I don't know about
Trend, but Symantec only release updates weekly. Daily if there's a
serious outbreak. Hourly update checks?? Are you mental?!

Similarly, I just spoke to a user who got 137 emails this weekend
telling her that she has exceeded her mailbox allocation. OK, so we want
people to keep their mailbox size down. But 137 emails? Anyway, I
emailled the server admin, and he changed the notification frequency
from 1 hour to 4 hours.

Are you seeing a pattern here? Seriously... an email stays there until
you read it. Why on earth do you need an email every 4 hours to remind
you to do something? This is silly! Surely daily would be plenty...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/