POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
12 Oct 2024 09:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Most incomprehensible films ever (Message 129 to 138 of 278)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
Date: 7 Jan 2008 04:56:04
Message: <op.t4j0h3tec3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 20:42:03 -0000, nemesis
<nam### [at] gmailcom> did spake, saying:

>> The main point was to demonstrate special
>> effects. The plot was secondary. That's why they spend so long on things
>> like showing space ships coming over the horizon (first matte painting),
>> pens floating in air, jogging around the inside of a centrifuge, and so
>> on.
>
> Cinema is a visual medium.  And 2001 excels at this, with very powerful
> and
> poetic imagery:  the famous opening with the sun rise from space at the
> sound
> of Richard Strauss' finest; the bone flowing into air and cutting to the
> ship;
> or the ships ballet in space with Blue Danube...

Which I don't think anyone here would deny.

> ironically, much more impacting than most CG orgies showing these days...
>
> the plot was secondary?!  An enigmatic monolith sparking intelligence, a
> paranoid AI and a men's quest for survival going beyond the beyond
> should be
> enough...

The point I (and I think Andrew) is making is that none of this is really
made explicit; you yourself said that you had to read between the lines
and thus it may be possible to come away from the film with completely the
wrong conclusions (as per the ones I made-up) or just a state of confusion.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message