POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quite silly Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Quite silly (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Invisible
Subject: Quite silly
Date: 2 Jan 2008 08:37:45
Message: <477b93a9$1@news.povray.org>
It's a new year, and I've picked a new password.

Unfortunately, I've picked a rather long password which I can almost
never type correctly.

0wned.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Re: Quite silly
Date: 2 Jan 2008 10:18:24
Message: <477bab40$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> It's a new year, and I've picked a new password.
>
> Unfortunately, I've picked a rather long password which I can almost
> never type correctly.
>
> 0wned.

Nah, I like that as well. A ridiculously long password is fun,
especially for those cases where it might happen that someone is just
kinda watching you. If you just type "game" as a password for a game,
they're bound to remember. If you type something incredibly long with
1334-speak, they'll look at you dumbfounded and think you're a geek.

Which I am. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

Post a reply to this message

>> It's a new year, and I've picked a new password.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I've picked a rather long password which I can almost
>> never type correctly.
>>
>> 0wned.
>
> Nah, I like that as well. A ridiculously long password is fun,
> especially for those cases where it might happen that someone is just
> kinda watching you. If you just type "game" as a password for a game,
> they're bound to remember. If you type something incredibly long with
> 1334-speak, they'll look at you dumbfounded and think you're a geek.

1334-speak as in 1337-speak but subtracting 3 at the end of the word in
the ascii table to make it harder?

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jan 2008 11:34:02
Message: <477bbcfa$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:
> Nah, I like that as well. A ridiculously long password is fun,
> especially for those cases where it might happen that someone is just
> kinda watching you.

 From experience, avoiding shoulder surfers is easier with a short
password than a long password, as long as you pick the right short password.

alsjd, for example, is an excellent anti-shoulder-surfing password.
(Crappy for other purposes, but excellent for shoulder surfer protection.)

Having the newbs standing around in a small room with your back to them
while logging into the "expert" account in high school taught me this. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 2 Jan 2008 11:52:01
Message: <477bc131$1@news.povray.org>
"Invisible" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote

> It's a new year, and I've picked a new password.
>
> Unfortunately, I've picked a rather long password

bunakar babomikan galukfinel basawunk tinkelwickifun wonga wonga, waknufug
selwotinhina chekelfoksitan belwokasim! ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 Jan 2008 11:57:37
Message: <477bc281@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:

>> Unfortunately, I've picked a rather long password
>
> bunakar babomikan galukfinel basawunk tinkelwickifun wonga wonga, waknufug
> selwotinhina chekelfoksitan belwokasim! ?

GENIUS!!!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Warp
Date: 2 Jan 2008 15:58:02
Message: <477bfada@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias <JUS### [at] gmxnetware> wrote:
> If you type something incredibly long with
> 1334-speak, they'll look at you dumbfounded and think you're a geek.

  No, they will think you are a paranoid.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Jan 2008 16:02:19
Message: <stunn31bct3hc6hj9359tdp5rjlmvv302e@4ax.com>
On 2 Jan 2008 15:58:02 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Tim Nikias <JUS### [at] gmxnetware> wrote:
>> If you type something incredibly long with
>> 1334-speak, they'll look at you dumbfounded and think you're a geek.
>
>  No, they will think you are a paranoid.

Are you sure that you don't mean stupid or a poser?

I on the other hand make false strokes with my fingers showing how smart I am :)

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jan 2008 06:01:58
Message: <478206a6$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> Nah, I like that as well. A ridiculously long password is fun,
> especially for those cases where it might happen that someone is just
> kinda watching you. If you just type "game" as a password for a game,
> they're bound to remember. If you type something incredibly long with
> 1334-speak, they'll look at you dumbfounded and think you're a geek.

Try using the first 40 digits of Pi as your password.

Most people will think you're a genius, typing out this huge long list
of digits at lightning speed. No one would ever be able to remember it,
even if they could follow the blur of your fingers!

And a small number of people who actually know anything about security
will realise that Pi is an obvious and stupid choice, making it trivial
for anybody who can use Google to figure out your password. (They only
have to try all prefix lengths - a very easy task.)

Indeed, there are only 10 digits, but 26 letters, making letters a much
better choice. [Assuming you use *random* letters - which almost nobody
does.]

> Which I am. :-)

Right... 0;-)

3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993 (approx)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/