POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I hate DVD as a physical media Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:14:05 EDT (-0400)
  I hate DVD as a physical media (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Tom Galvin
Subject: Re: I hate DVD as a physical media
Date: 16 Dec 2007 02:34:30
Message: <4764d506$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> It's just a tiny scratch on the very outer
> edge of the disc, but that's enough to make it difficult for the drive
> to recognize the disc.

clean, buff, and wax.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Scratched-CD

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 17 Dec 2007 02:41:57
Message: <47662845@news.povray.org>
>  I have the 4-disc edition of Titanic, and my computer has now trouble
> recognizing the second disc. It's just a tiny scratch on the very outer
> edge of the disc, but that's enough to make it difficult for the drive
> to recognize the disc.

Did you try it in another drive?  IME it's often the drives that suck, not
the discs.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 17 Dec 2007 11:17:35
Message: <4766a11f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/15 08:51:
>   The DVD is a bad physical form of media. It's too fragile.
>
>   I have the 4-disc edition of Titanic, and my computer has now trouble
> recognizing the second disc. It's just a tiny scratch on the very outer
> edge of the disc, but that's enough to make it difficult for the drive
> to recognize the disc.
>
>   There's nothing else wrong with the disc, only the tiny scratch on the
> outer edge. If such a small flaw is enough to completely stop the DVD from
> being played, that's IMO a clear sign that the DVD as a format is flawed.
> One tiny scratch should not disable the entire disc just because it happens
> to be physically located at a certain place on the disc. DVDs are supposed
> to have lots of redundant information for the exact reason to avoid it being
> rendered unplayable by tiny flaws. Why can't it have redundant information
> of the most critical sections of the disc, at different parts of the disc,
> so that drives can try another copy of the critical section if one is
> unreadable?
>
>   This sucks.

On CD and DVD, the content is writen from the center outward, and very seldom
reatch all the way to the edge. Any scratch on the very outer edge would never
be reatched by the reader.
This let a possibility: The scratch is realy a chiping, that chiping is
unbalancing the disk, and the reader's spindle is loose, making the disk spinn
off center. Try sticking a tiny bit of adesive tape on the back of the DVD
between the center ant the scratch and see if it help.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you think it's a failing of the

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 17 Dec 2007 11:45:02
Message: <4766a78e$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> This let a possibility: The scratch is realy a chiping, that chiping is
> unbalancing the disk, and the reader's spindle is loose, making the disk
> spinn off center.

I have a CD player that magically stopped playing all my CDs after a put
sticky labels on them... I *presume* balance is the reason.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 17 Dec 2007 11:46:01
Message: <4766a7c9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   There's nothing else wrong with the disc, only the tiny scratch on the
> outer edge. If such a small flaw is enough to completely stop the DVD from
> being played, that's IMO a clear sign that the DVD as a format is flawed.

Hmm. I find it strange that suck a tiny flaw would disable the disk.
It's not something I've come across personally... how odd.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Ross
Date: 17 Dec 2007 11:49:34
Message: <4766a89e$1@news.povray.org>
"somebody" <x### [at] ycom> wrote in message news:4763fc5d$1@news.povray.org...
> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote
>
>>   The DVD is a bad physical form of media. It's too fragile.
>
> It's been that way since they chose not to enclose CDs in a protective
> case.

The Lawnmower Man was on T.V. a year or so ago... I hadn't seen it since it
came out in about 1991(?). I was surprised that the CD's in that movie did
actually have protective cases.

And then in The Matrix they had MiniDiscs for data, and those obviously have
protective cases. I wonder why such things didn't catch on for consumer data
storage... (not MiniDiscs for music... it's failures in the consumer market
are well documented).

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 17 Dec 2007 12:52:36
Message: <4766b764@news.povray.org>
Ross <rli### [at] speakeasynet> wrote:
> I wonder why such things didn't catch on for consumer data
> storage...

  Yeah. Now we are stuck with this crappy physical media. Each new type of
media must be physically compatible with CDs, so the problem only perpetuates
itself.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 28 Dec 2007 13:06:32
Message: <47753b28@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The DVD is a bad physical form of media. It's too fragile.
>
>   I have the 4-disc edition of Titanic, and my computer has now trouble
> recognizing the second disc. It's just a tiny scratch on the very outer
> edge of the disc, but that's enough to make it difficult for the drive
> to recognize the disc.

(old, yes)

Have you already tried DD-Rescue to get an image of the disc? Where DD
fails, DD-Rescue usually gets forward.

groath 0200 # emerge -s dd-rescue
Searching...
[ Results for search key : dd-rescue ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  sys-fs/dd-rescue
      Latest version available: 1.10
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 16 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
      License:       GPL-2

>   This sucks.

Yes.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 28 Dec 2007 15:08:03
Message: <477557a3@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
> Have you already tried DD-Rescue to get an image of the disc?

  Does it work if the drive cannot even detect the type of disc inserted?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 28 Dec 2007 18:19:21
Message: <47758479@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
>> Have you already tried DD-Rescue to get an image of the disc?
>
>   Does it work if the drive cannot even detect the type of disc inserted?

If the drive detects enough to give bits out, it could (agreed though, I
managed to miss that particular point).