POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I hate DVD as a physical media : Re: I hate DVD as a physical media Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I hate DVD as a physical media
From: Ross
Date: 17 Dec 2007 11:49:34
Message: <4766a89e$1@news.povray.org>
"somebody" <x### [at] ycom> wrote in message news:4763fc5d$1@news.povray.org...
> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote
>
>>   The DVD is a bad physical form of media. It's too fragile.
>
> It's been that way since they chose not to enclose CDs in a protective
> case.

The Lawnmower Man was on T.V. a year or so ago... I hadn't seen it since it
came out in about 1991(?). I was surprised that the CD's in that movie did
actually have protective cases.

And then in The Matrix they had MiniDiscs for data, and those obviously have
protective cases. I wonder why such things didn't catch on for consumer data
storage... (not MiniDiscs for music... it's failures in the consumer market
are well documented).