POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  ODBC (Message 29 to 38 of 98)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: ODBC
Date: 15 Dec 2007 06:26:17
Message: <4763b9d9$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Galvin wrote:

>> I'm going to build [yet another] helpdesk application.
>>

> Then mysql is more than adequate to the task.

I disagree.

> Why not use a helpdesk that already exists, uses mysql, is available
> under the gpl, and is cross platform.
>
> http://www.oneorzero.com/

I'll take a look. It's probably too complicated though. (Needs to be
something a 4 year old can play with and not break.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 15 Dec 2007 06:54:00
Message: <4763c058@news.povray.org>
> Tom Galvin wrote:

> I'll take a look. It's probably too complicated though. (Needs to be
> something a 4 year old can play with and not break.)

Something that looks like the image here?
http://www.jupiterimages.com/popup2.aspx?navigationSubType=itemdetails&itemID=22191158

;oD

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 15 Dec 2007 07:02:47
Message: <4763c267@news.povray.org>
> Tom Galvin wrote:
>
> >> I'm going to build [yet another] helpdesk application.
> >>
> > Then mysql is more than adequate to the task.
>
> I disagree.

Why is it not? What features do you need that the latest MySQL doesn't
support?

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 15 Dec 2007 07:04:09
Message: <4763c2b9@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

>> I'll take a look. It's probably too complicated though. (Needs to be
>> something a 4 year old can play with and not break.)
>>
> Something that looks like the image here?

http://www.jupiterimages.com/popup2.aspx?navigationSubType=itemdetails&itemID=22191158

> ;oD

LOL! Might be a bit beyond their mental capacity... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 15 Dec 2007 07:06:13
Message: <4763c335$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> "Orchid XP v7" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message

>>> Then mysql is more than adequate to the task.
>> I disagree.
>
> Why is it not? What features do you need that the latest MySQL doesn't
> support?

I'm sure MySQL is great if you just want to catelogue your CD
collection. But if you're going to have multiple people access it at
once, you need transactions or you'll end up with a data integrity
nightmare.

(In this instance, it also needs to be possible to back up the database
without shuting it down. And to recover if there's a crash. And all
those other kinds of things.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 15 Dec 2007 07:19:05
Message: <4763c639@news.povray.org>
> Darren New wrote:
> > Invisible wrote:
> >> For the thing I'm trying to do, transactional (and recoverable, etc)
> >> is very important.
> >
> > I think your info about mysql is out of date.
>
> Well, last I checked, MySQL is a "toy database" on a par with Access.

MySQL is a database service, unlike access. It supports multiple users
without the data files becoming corrupt every second day.

Access data files don't require anything applications installed to use them,
so they're very handy for data storage in single-user desktop applications

> (Do they even support nested SELECT statements yet?)

As of MySQL 4.1. Two versions before present

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 15 Dec 2007 07:28:54
Message: <4763c886@news.povray.org>

> I'm sure MySQL is great if you just want to catelogue your CD
> collection. But if you're going to have multiple people access it at
> once, you need transactions or you'll end up with a data integrity
> nightmare.

OK, now I'm sure you're having us all on.
Where on earth did you get the idea that mySQL can't handle multiple
concurrent users?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/transactional-commands.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-transaction-model.html

And note that's version 5.0. Latest is 6.0

> (In this instance, it also needs to be possible to back up the database
> without shuting it down. And to recover if there's a crash. And all
> those other kinds of things.)

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/backup.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/backup-strategy-example.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/point-in-time-recovery.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/table-maintenance.html

Tell, me. Did you do any research on mySQL before making these claims?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 15 Dec 2007 07:51:04
Message: <pdj7m3h9kv7ga1jeq9h6fv27uc5d97ue6s@4ax.com>
On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:31:24 +0200, "Gail Shaw" <initialsurname@sentech sa dot
com> wrote:

>Tell, me. Did you do any research on mySQL before making these claims?

Does Andrew ever research anything before asking?
Remember p.o.t. is your friend :)

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 15 Dec 2007 08:16:18
Message: <4763d3a2@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> Tell, me. Did you do any research on mySQL before making these claims?

I heard that MySQL is this cool free database that's taking over the
world. The KNOPPIX CDs contain it, so I thought I'd sit down and have a
play.

I was expecting great things. Maybe too great. What I actually found is
that by default "commit" and "rollback" are no-op, and transaction
handling is an "optional feature" that you have to explicitly enable.

I decided that any database that considers something so fundamentally
important to be "optional" is obviously not a very serious effort. Then
I looked at the release notes and it says "yay! we now support unions",
and I'm like "my God - you're kidding, right?"

At that point, I lost interest.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: pan
Date: 15 Dec 2007 10:04:36
Message: <4763ed04@news.povray.org>
> Darren New wrote:
>> Invisible wrote:
>>> For the thing I'm trying to do, transactional (and recoverable,
>>> etc) is very important.
>>
>> I think your info about mysql is out of date.
>
> Well, last I checked, MySQL is a "toy database" on a par with
> Access. (Do they even support nested SELECT statements yet?)
> There's nothing "wrong" with that, it's just not the type of
> product I'm looking for.
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*