POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : bluray and pixar Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  bluray and pixar (Message 7 to 16 of 66)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: scott
Subject: Re: bluray and pixar
Date: 22 Nov 2007 07:20:16
Message: <47457400$1@news.povray.org>
>> "only".  What resolution do run your desktop in?  Now imagine dividing
>> that by 4.  It wouldn't be pretty...
>
> As far as I know, a normal TV operates at something like 300x200 or so.
> That means that 4x would only be 600x400 - still extremely low.

The shorts I watched last night were 1920x1080 resolution...

> (I remember I once plugged my laptop into the TV because we didn't own a
> DVD player. The Windows desktop was... unreadable. Literally, you just
> couldn't read *any* of the writing! But then, I guess usually you sit 12
> feet from your TV screen, so they're not going to bother making it able to
> display tiny writing like that...)

If you buy a 1080p TV though, that means that it is 1920x1080 resolution.
If you plug your PC into it (either by DVI->HDMI or analog VGA) and set your
PC to a 1920x1080 screen mode it will look perfect.

Post a reply to this message

>>> "only".  What resolution do run your desktop in?  Now imagine
>>> dividing that by 4.  It wouldn't be pretty...
>>
>> As far as I know, a normal TV operates at something like 300x200 or
>> so. That means that 4x would only be 600x400 - still extremely low.
>
> The shorts I watched last night were 1920x1080 resolution...

Interesting. My PC monitor doesn't go that high. (!)

Must take some serious MPEG compression to fit that onto a disk - even a
bluray disk has only finite storage capacity.

>> (I remember I once plugged my laptop into the TV because we didn't own
>> a DVD player. The Windows desktop was... unreadable.)
>
> If you buy a 1080p TV though, that means that it is 1920x1080
> resolution. If you plug your PC into it (either by DVI->HDMI or analog
> VGA) and set your PC to a 1920x1080 screen mode it will look perfect.

My laptop doesn't go that high. ;-)

(Also, it has only VGA and S-Video output. I managed to find an S-Video
to SCART converter, which allows me to connect to the TV.)

Post a reply to this message