POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : bluray and pixar : Re: bluray and pixar Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bluray and pixar
From: scott
Date: 22 Nov 2007 08:07:58
Message: <47457f2e$1@news.povray.org>
> 512.40 GB / hour. So only 10x bigger than the disk. ;-)

So even if each frame was compressed using normal JPEG compression (with no
knowledge of previous frames) the result would probably look pretty good...
Given that the video codecs make use of huge amounts of info from the
previous frames, it seems that the video quality will be pretty good.
Actually I didn't notice any form of compression artifact while watching,
and I was looking pretty closely.  Mind you, as these were "shorts", they
might have compressed them less than they would a feature-film, I don't know
if that is technically possible or not...

> Both. They don't bother putting a video card in a laptop that can do
> 1600x1200 if the LCD itself is only 1024x768. (In fact, it seems my laptop
> has only 3 resolutions, 3 colours depths and 1 scan rate.)

Oh ok, most laptops I've seen allow you to choose a higher resolution than
the screen itself, and then you can scroll about the laptop screen, or plug
in an external monitor.  I know a lot of people here have those tiny Dells
with 1024x768 screens, but use a 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 monitor on their
desk.

> That's the other thing - HD seems to involve a whole zoo of different
> connectors. For normal analogue video signals it's much simpler.

Hmmm, digital HD you have the HDMI plug (looks a bit like a USB plug) or if
you want to include computers you have DVI too (both are electrically
compatible, so converters are cheap).

For analogue you have: component, composite, s-video and SCART, and if you
want to include computers, VGA too.  VGA is not compatible with any of the
previous ones, so if you want to connect a computer to a TV you need
something more expensive.