POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of pure mathematics Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  A question of pure mathematics (Message 16 to 25 of 25)
From: scott
Subject: Re: A question of pure mathematics
Date: 20 Nov 2007 07:18:56
Message: <4742d0b0$1@news.povray.org>
> I read that back in 1997. (Yes, that's how old it is.) I had trouble
> understanding it back then, and having reread it a few times since then, I
> still have trouble comprehending it.
>
> I think essentially wavelets are just too complicated to understand. So
> I'll stick with my original approach...

I don't claim to be anything like an expert on wavelets, but for someone who
apparently knows about fourier transforms it goes like this (roughly):

If you do a normal FT on a signal, you get a nice graph of amplitude against
frequency.

If you have a longer signal (eg a song) then you can split it up into chunks
and do FT on each chunk.  You then get a nice 3D graph of how amplitude
against frequency changes over time.

The problem is that the shorter you make the chunks, the less accurate the
frequency information is.  The longer you make the chunks, the less accurate
the time information is and the (more accurate) frequencies get blurred
together over time.

What wavelets do is allow you to use a different chunk size for different
frequencies.  In a song you probably want a small chunk size for high
frequencies (the absolute frequency is not so important, just the timing),
and a large chunk size for low frequencies.

Post a reply to this message

> If you do a normal FT on a signal, you get a nice graph of amplitude
> against frequency.

But, sadly, only for a sationary siganl.

The problem, essentially, is that standard Fourier theory lets you look
at a signal purely in the time domain, or purely in the frequency domain
- but humans perceive sounds in *both* domains simultaneously.

> If you have a longer signal (eg a song) then you can split it up into
> chunks and do FT on each chunk.  You then get a nice 3D graph of how
> amplitude against frequency changes over time.
>
> The problem is that the shorter you make the chunks, the less accurate
> the frequency information is.  The longer you make the chunks, the less
> accurate the time information is and the (more accurate) frequencies get
> blurred together over time.

Or rather, the problem is that if the chunk bounderiess don't line up
nicely with wave cycles, you get spurious high-frequency components
being reported that don't actually exist in the original signal.

> What wavelets do is allow you to use a different chunk size for
> different frequencies.  In a song you probably want a small chunk size
> for high frequencies (the absolute frequency is not so important, just
> the timing), and a large chunk size for low frequencies.

Yeah. I get all that. I just don't understand how the maths works.

Post a reply to this message

> Or rather, the problem is that if the chunk bounderiess don't line up
> nicely with wave cycles, you get spurious high-frequency components being
> reported that don't actually exist in the original signal.

Use a non-rectangular window function?

>> What wavelets do is allow you to use a different chunk size for different
>> frequencies.  In a song you probably want a small chunk size for high
>> frequencies (the absolute frequency is not so important, just the
>> timing), and a large chunk size for low frequencies.
>
> Yeah. I get all that. I just don't understand how the maths works.

Maybe you should get a real book?  I have no idea if it is valid or not, but
you could start off by doing repeated FTs with different chunk sizes for
different frequencies...

Post a reply to this message

>> Or rather, the problem is that if the chunk bounderiess don't line up
>> nicely with wave cycles, you get spurious high-frequency components
>> being reported that don't actually exist in the original signal.
>
> Use a non-rectangular window function?

Mmm, that's equivilent to a convolution in the frequency domain. ;-)

>>> What wavelets do is allow you to use a different chunk size for
>>> different frequencies.  In a song you probably want a small chunk
>>> size for high frequencies (the absolute frequency is not so
>>> important, just the timing), and a large chunk size for low frequencies.
>>
>> Yeah. I get all that. I just don't understand how the maths works.
>
> Maybe you should get a real book?

Possibly, yes...

Post a reply to this message