POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of pure mathematics : Re: A question of pure mathematics Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of pure mathematics
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 20 Nov 2007 15:22:52
Message: <4743421c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> O RLY?
>
> My DSP textbook says the Fourier transform of the delta function yields
> an amplitude of 1 for all frequencies. (Whereas the Fourier transform of
> a zero signal would be a zero signal.)

As has been mentioned, a function which is zero everywhere except for
f(0)=1 is not what is meant by a delta function in this context.  The
critical property of the delta function which your book is talking about
is that it has an integral of 1 over any interval containing the
`spike', whereas the function I described has an integral of zero
everywhere.

There's another argument that can lead you to the same conclusion that
you can't approximate any function over the reals with a Fourier
transform, and that's to note that the cardinality of the number of
possible Fourier representations is smaller than the cardinality of the
number of possible functions on the reals, so there have to be some
functions that you can't represent.