POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bigger plans! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Bigger plans! (Message 1 to 10 of 45)
From: Invisible
Subject: Bigger plans!
Date: 9 Nov 2007 06:44:37
Message: <47344825$1@news.povray.org>
Woah!

I just got a 1 MB PDF file. Opening it makes my poor little 1.5 GHz
Athlon cry. Printing it resulted in a dense tangle of lines that was
beyong legibility. Checking the PDF properties, I see it's designed for...

...are you sitting down?...

A0 paper.

As in, the largest standardised paper size that exists, at more than a
meter wide. (2.5 feet by 4 feet, roughly.)

The writing was hopelessly small. (If you ask Word to print some 2 pt
text on an A4 sheet, that's roughly how big. Although I notice it's a
particularly bland sans serif typeface that only appears to contain
uppercase.)

Interestingly, I asked the computer to print it again at A3 size (we
have *one* printer that can do this), and the lines all stayed the same
thickness; they're just further apart now. It's still extremely cramped,
but it's vaguely readable. (I notice fairly extreme aliasing due to the
fact that all the lines are very slightly off axis.)

This plan contains an entire zoo of curios symbols - but unlike the
previous plan, there's a key explaining what they all are:

   (Semicircle with line)
   FLUSH SINGLE 13A SWITCHED SOCKET OUTLET

   (Filled semicircle with line)
   FLUSH TWIN 13A SWITCHED SOCKET OUTLET

   (Half-filled semicircle with line)
   13 SWITCHED FUSED CONNECTION UNIT

   (Half-filled semicircle with line inside dashed box with "FCU")
   13A SWITCHED FUSED CONNECTION UNIT AT HIGH LEVEL ABOVE CEILING FOR
FAN COIL UNIT

   (Half-filled semicircle with line inside dashed box with "HVA")
   13A SWITCHED FUSED CONNECTION UNIT AT HIGH LEVEL ABOVE CEILING FOR
HVAC CONTROLS

   (Semicircle with cross)
   16A SPN+E SINGLE PHASE NEUTRAL & EARTH INDUSTRIAL UNSWITCHED SOCKET
OUTLET MK COMMANDO OR EQUAL & APPROVED

   (Box with "R")
   SP&N ISOLATOR - R DENOTED RATING OF DEVICE

   (Half-filled box with "R")
   TP&N ISOLATOR - R DENOTES RATING OF DEVICE

   (Box with "PP")
   POWER POLE C/W 4XSINGLE 13A SWITCHED SOCKET OUTLETS AND 4XRJ45 DATA
OUTLETS

   (Dashed line)
   3 COMPARTMENT DADO TRUNKING INSTALLED BELOW WINDOW CILL

   (Box with "FB")
   3 COMPARTMENT FLOOR BOX C/E 2xTWIN 13A SWITCHED OUTLETS & 4xRF45 DATA
OUTLETS. 3 METRE UNFUSED 32A TAP OFF UNITS & FLEXIBLE CONNECTION

   (Unequal-dashed line with crossed box)
   63A UNDERFLOOR BUSBAR WITH END FEED UNIT

   (Rectangle with diagnol hatching)
   200mm BASKET TRAY - ABOV CEIL[cut off printout]

   (Rectangle with dots)
   200mm BASKET TRAY - IN FLOOR VO[cut off printout]

   (Filled triangle)
   RJ45 OUTLET WIRED BACK TO PATCH PANEL IN COMMS ROOM TESTED AND LABELLED

   (Filled square with white triangle)
   ENTRANCE INTERCOM AND DOOR RELEASE

This entire text takes up less than 3 inches of paper.

(Woah - 63A? o_O Anybody know what thickness of copper it takes to
handle that kind of currentl? That's gotta be more like a girder than a
wire!)

Inspecting the plan itself, I see an underfloor tray leading from that
curiosly non-square "riser cupboard" to all of the ofice spaces and my
server room. I then see an above-ceiling tray running from the server
room to all the lab spaces.

The office spaces are liberally littered with floor boxes, the lab
office has floor boxes and a generous sprinskling of wall-mounted power
and data sockets, and the lab is positively *encrusted* with power and
data sockets on every available vertical surface. (Even the support
girders holding the roof up!)

Checking the other data on the plan, I find this:

   TITLE
   Ground Floor Office B
   Small Power & Ancillery Services

   DRAWN BY
   KB

   APPROVED
   RB

   DATE DRAWN
   27-09-07

   SCALE
   1/50 @ A0

   DRAWING NUMBER
   1001/E003 B

(All of which is really *extremely* hard to read. The typeface is fairly
big, but seems to be boldface or something. Almost no whitespace inside
letters like "O"...)

Nice of them to include the paper size this time! (It makes a bit of a
difference.) So, printed at A3, this should be... hmm... 1:400. Ouch!

So, given that it's 1:400, that means we've got power and data sockets
every... uh... 2 meters, roughly. On almost every internal wall in the
lab. And floor boxes every 4 meters everywhere else. Wow.

Oh look, there's a box on the back wall marked

   GENERATOR INPUT SOCKET

Since we store stuff that has to be kept frozen, a power cut is a fairly
major event. Our customers won't be too pleased if their $80 million
project has to be restarted from scratch because the stuff melted! So in
the event of a power cut, a big truck comes along and dumps a huge lump
of pig iron labelled "CAT POWER" outside our building, with a
ridiculously huge cable and a comically over-sized plug on the end.
(Seriously, the cable is thicker than some tree trunks!)

There's A LOT of over-printed text, but it seems that the individual
sockets don't have unique numbers. ;-)

It's really quite confusing trying to reed this plan - the trunking
stands out much more than the actual walls. I keep thinking the wire
trays are the walls, and the walls are wire trays! LOL.

Post a reply to this message

> (Woah - 63A? o_O Anybody know what thickness of copper it takes to handle
> that kind of currentl? That's gotta be more like a girder than a wire!)

Roughly double your standard 13A cable would do...  Look at the cable going
to the starter motor on your car, that's usually 100A or so.

> It's really quite confusing trying to reed this plan - the trunking stands
> out much more than the actual walls. I keep thinking the wire trays are
> the walls, and the walls are wire trays! LOL.

Can't you print it out tiled, ie 8 A3 sheets (or however many it is) then
just put them together?

Post a reply to this message