POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bigger plans! : Re: Bigger plans! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bigger plans!
From: Tom Austin
Date: 9 Nov 2007 08:54:46
Message: <473466a6$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> scott wrote:
>>> (Woah - 63A? o_O Anybody know what thickness of copper it takes to
>>> handle that kind of currentl? That's gotta be more like a girder than
>>> a wire!)
>>
>> Roughly double your standard 13A cable would do...  Look at the cable
>> going to the starter motor on your car, that's usually 100A or so.
>
> 1. A car runs on 12V electrics, not 250V. Does that make a difference?
>
> 2. Is maximum load proportional to diameter or cross section area? (The
> latter is quadratically propertional to diameter.)
>
>> Can't you print it out tiled, ie 8 A3 sheets (or however many it is)
>> then just put them together?
>
> Well, in principle yes. In practice, I very much doubt you'd ever get
> the pieces to line up properly. (Ever notice how map books *always* put
> the place you want to look at in the crease?) Plus I'm having enough
> trouble finding somewhere to put an A3 printout without it getting
> crinkled up... :-S
>
> Apparently the planners have access to an A0 printer. I don't even want
> to imagine what that must cost... ;-)

They are not too bad - at least the cheaper ones.  We have a 'plotter'
that prints 2'x3' pretty easily.  The paper is on a roll that is 3' wide
and like 50' long.

If you need to get it printed look at local copy centers - they might be
able to help.  Some engineering shops (that sell stuff) might be able to
help you out as well.

But then again, maybe you are expected to look at your tiny screen and
figure everything that you need in your head.  After all, pencils cost
money as well..

Tom