POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : missing disk space on server, need help Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  missing disk space on server, need help (Message 29 to 38 of 58)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: missing disk space on server, need help
Date: 12 Nov 2007 19:37:46
Message: <4738f1da$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:20:08 -0500, Alain wrote:

> Ever heard of "sparse" files?

Yes.  Old hand at NetWare; didn't know that Windows filesystems supported
sparse files.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2007 23:38:06
Message: <47392a2e$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:26:48 -0800, Darren New wrote:
>
>> More precisely, if you have a fragmented file taking 3 blocks and
>> filling them each only 10%, defragging that file will free two blocks.
>
> I don't think that can happen with "standard" files in NTFS or FAT

I don't know about FAT, but I was surprised when I saw a log file that
actually consumed more clusters than there were lines in the file. WTF?

> would the OS write to a partial block but not the entire block?  Doesn't
> make sense to me...

Open the file, write a little bit, close it. Open it again, append a
little, close it. Repeat.  Possibly it requires other people to also
have the file open at the same time, as for reading or something?

NTFS isn't very good at avoiding fragmentation, methinks.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message