POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : missing disk space on server, need help : Re: missing disk space on server, need help Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: missing disk space on server, need help
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Nov 2007 23:39:44
Message: <47392a90$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:20:08 -0500, Alain wrote:
>
>> Ever heard of "sparse" files?
>
> Yes.  Old hand at NetWare; didn't know that Windows filesystems supported
> sparse files.

Yah, it does. Well, NTFS does, at least. Indeed, fundamental parts of
the system (like the USN journal) rely on the fact that you can delete
blocks off the start of a file and recover the space used therein.

Unlike UNIX, it's not just a matter of seeking around. You have to open
the file as a sparse file, then you have to say "hey, this area is
sparse" rather than (say) just writing all zeros to the blocks or something.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we